Thread: D2 ARB bar-winch fitting

Total Downloaded

D2 ARB bar-winch fitting

G'day all.
    Starting to get the D2 built up, and i'm looking at winches.
    Mainly looking at things like Tigerz, Runva, those sort as i haven't heard any horror stories.
    Looking through a few posts, it seems a few people have had to modify their bars to accommodate the winch.
    Is this the case with D2 ARB steel bars?
    Any other winch options? I checked out ironman,but i've heard their stuff can be a bit dodgy.
    Any info at all appreciated.
    Cheers
    Muppet

NavyDiver is offline Very Very Lucky! Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded

Winch

My 4 year old Aldi winch failed on the weekend. My fault as the roughly 12 tonne tree I was trying to pull down off the track after cutting it was still putting its full weight on the cut out section I needed to move.

I pulled a Warne and my Aldi apart for a service not that long ago. The gear set up in the warne looked neater.
    A jeep forum had some question on the Runva and responses added to the list suggesting
    xrc8
    http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/showproduct
    .php?product=628
    or XRC 8 Winch - Smittybilt

warn has so many it takes an hour to look at them all Warn Industries - Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches

Tigerz has two lines WINCHES

and Hercules Winches - Tigerz11

The warranties differ a lot. It is a tough choice. Good luck sorting all the conflicting opinions this topic brings. Not sure which way i will go myself yet.

Total Downloaded
    Cheers for that.
    Another question.
    Is it advisable to run duel batteries for winching?
    If so, thats a bit of extra weight up front, not including the winch.
    Would it be worth putting some uprated springs in the front, or could it wait?
    Cheers
    Muppet

NavyDiver is offline Very Very Lucky! Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Muppet View Post
    Cheers for that.
    Another question.
    Is it advisable to run duel batteries for winching?
    If so, thats a bit of extra weight up front, not including the winch.
    Would it be worth putting some uprated springs in the front, or could it wait?
    Cheers
    Muppet
    I have a D3 with a ARB bar so cannot help with the springs question sorry, I do have a dual battery but never had any issue with engine running and winching off main battery myself. only needed the dual battery once when I stupidly left the fridge in the back of the car on the main battery rather than plug it into the dual battery.

Just did a little home work on a 12000lb winch.

Runva and Tigerz win on warrenty, Price is close, power hp and kw goes to Runva 7.2hp 5.4kw followed by tigerz and supercheap. Price Tigerz. weight Tigerz. I think I am leaning to the Tigerz for myself. my quick comparision is clearly only looking superficially.

model brand warrenty power line type remote weight est price supercheal 12000lb rigderyder 12months 6.6hp 4.8kw 28m of 10mm DyneemaŽ SK75 wired and wireless
    $925 Runva EWX12000 Limited lifetime warranty for private use* 7.2hp 5.4kw 28m of 11mm Dyneema wired and wireless 33kg $850 Tigerz GRANDE 12000LB WINCH DYNEEMA 5 years 6.6hp 4.8kw 30m of 9mm Dyneema wired and wireless 30kg 699 WARN Tabor 12K 1 year not stated 24m 9.5mm wire wired and wireless 40.4 kg
    WARN 12.0 XE 1 year 4.6hp 24m 9.5mm wire wired and wireless 45kg
    Aldi 12V 4300kg (not 12000lb) 2 year 5.5hp 4kw 28m 8.3mm wire wired and wireless
    $399 Ironman 12,000lb
    6hp 5.4 28mm 9.5mm wire wired and wireless 42kg

Edit Warn has "Limited Lifetime" listed on Australia- sorry I picked the one year from the warn.com site
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NavyDiver; 12th June 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Limited Lifetime