Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf MKV headlight gremlin

Total Downloaded

Golf MKV headlight gremlin

Howdy all, my other car is a VW golf gti, its just started doing something weird with headlights. Normally they are auto and go off and on themselves. for some reason though, they wont turn off, are always on when car is on. even if i try to actually turn them off, they dont turn off. main beams function as normal. Its very weird. I am wondering if a fuse has blown somewhere but last timei fiddled with the fuses in it i had all sorts of fun times haha. Has anybody encountered a problem like this?

Total Downloaded
    ED, mine's a Golf MkIV, and the "daytime running lamps" is an option in the settings menu - so the headlamps are on whenever the ignition is running.

Not sure if you have that user accessible option on the MkV, that has been inadvertantly activated?

Total Downloaded
    that is also what i was wondering, there are settings there to fiddle around with. will be checking there first i think.

Total Downloaded
    reset it all to factory settings and still does it. so weird. the sunvisor mirror light is always on too. might have to take it somewhere

Total Downloaded
    well i have concluded that my golf is infact, drunk. i have no clue what on earth is wrong with it, the headlights wont go off, no matter what i fiddle with in the settings, now they have taken to blowing and then fixing themselves next time i start the car...
    is all very weird. the alarm also randomly went off twice lastnight, but after going out there, openign the door starting it and then shutting down andlocking, its not happened again. the drivers mirror light in the visor that is only meant to come on when mirror opens is also weird, it comes on just when pull visor down. which makes it annoying to use the visor. im assuming i must have a bad earth somewhere or something. might have to take it to a shop as i seriously have no clue. so going to have to wait until ive sold my boat before i can afford to take it to get looked at by hte professionals lol. see how many more gremlins can join the party until then!!

Total Downloaded
    Do you have VCDS?

I would think the Light Control Module will have recorded a fault or two. All light are controlled by the LCM (including the visor beauty light), they are not controlled by the individual switches - the LCM receives a signal from the relevant switch and turns the light on/off/dim/what ever.

The loss of auto function would be a problem with the light sensor (back of center mirror facing the wind screen) or LCM. Maybe the wire between the two but unlikely.

The headlights "blowing" and coming back on will be the LCM thinking there is a short, it disconnects circuits based on load (if functioning correctly). On restart it will try the circuit again.

The Day Time Running lights function will be obvious. The dash lights do not come on with DRLs. MKV Golf has 2 modes for DRLs available - North America which has the low beam + front parkers, or Skandi which has tail light as well.

At first read it sounds like a faulty LCM.

VW electronics are OBD2 standard for the entire car (LR are only the engine ECU), the LCM faults can be read and cleared by nearly any standard OBD2 scanner.

Are you on VWWatercooled.org ? Maybe one of us will be near you?
    L322 3.6TDv8 Lux

Total Downloaded
    thanks i am not on VWwatercooled. been looking for a good VW forum to join. interior lights are on as well and satnav thing is in night mode constantly. ill try get my hands on a scanner to plug it up somewhere lol

Total Downloaded
    google driver beta?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dragon View Post
    ill try get my hands on a scanner to plug it up somewhere lol

I have one that should talk to it.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dragon View Post
    thanks i am not on VWwatercooled. been looking for a good VW forum to join. interior lights are on as well and satnav thing is in night mode constantly. ill try get my hands on a scanner to plug it up somewhere lol
    Right, so that's not DRLs. 1st step is to scan the LCM for faults. Still my 1st guess.

What’s the battery like? Alternator charging? These are two items easy to check and rule out (multimeter). Poor voltage will cause interesting issues, I don’t think it is alternator but rule it out anyway.

If you are interested in 2nd hand parts, start looking for a wrecked MK5 (try UK sites) the SAME as yours. There are differences between early and later MK5 electronics – don’t mix and match.

VW forums; VWWatercooled is the best out there, you won’t find anywhere near the level of help or knowledge of AULRO, the VW scene is very different, it is more ‘Take it to the dealer’, modify your car for bling instead of usefulness, obviously has to do with the people the brand attracts. In saying that there are a couple of regulars that know their stuff – I unfortunately don’t visit regularly, only when I need help really .

If you have offers on here for scanning, grab it – I have VCDS but I’m not really handy to you
    L322 3.6TDv8 Lux

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast