Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded membership of On Tap to FULL

Total Downloaded

Upgraded membership of On Tap to FULL

I have just joined the lofty ranks of all you keg guys. Last Sunday I spotted an add on gumtree that was too good to pass up, and it had only been posted for 20min. I have come 2nd (or 200th) on many occasions before in my search.

Anyway, I have a kegerator with six kegs and bottle with some gas in it. The kegerator is still in the back of the landy as it is too big for myself to manage. I should be able to get it out this weekend with a bit of help, then the missus will find out what I have been up to...

Lots of learning ahead for me... I have a brew ready, would like to keg it this weekend instead of bottling.

Cheers
    Ron

Total Downloaded
    If you don't want the wife to find out you can hide it at my place.
    2011 D4 3.0 SDV6
    1999 D2 V8, in heaven
    1984 RRC, in hell

Total Downloaded
    Its a nice setup Ron.
    You can go ahead and keg the brew,it isnt too important if you cant gas it yet.
    You now need a second fermenter.Start doing everything in pairs,its the best way to get your beer aged.
    2 brews in the fermenters at the same time.
    If you need any help/info etc yell out.BEWARE of overgassing the beer(too high flow pressure),if you do,and you will,disconnect the gas and release the stored pressure.The gas will come out of the beer over time.
    ENJOY
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    The secret is out. A mate from work came over tonight and gave me a hand with the Kegerator. It is now in "my" bar.

Missus declares that we don't need another bar fridge. But I think I may have got away with it.

I then had to share a few bottles, a Little Creatures replica and a Dockside Stout, with Oliver. He enjoyed them so much that he is now keenly interested in home brewing. His previous exposure to home brews had been disappointing to be polite...

I have some new clean lines to install on the weekend and will give the fridge a good clean. It is plugged in and getting cold, got to be happy about that.

Once I have kegged my first brew I think that I'll start of with a low pressure and wait a week and see how it goes.

Cheers
    Ron

Total Downloaded
    just try and wait! haha

Total Downloaded
    Ron,bear in mind the beer in the keg will need to get to 4degC or lower before it will absorb any CO2,it can take close on a week to get a decent gas into the beer.
    My flow meter is set at 10 psi,that gives quite a good head on a fully gassed keg,if anything its a tad high.I wouldnt go any higher and perhaps a tad lower(8psi) for starters.Its easy to add gas once gassed,see what others say.
    Andrew
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4

Total Downloaded
    Thanks Andrew,

I have replaced all of the gas lines today and tested at 10PSI on the reg. I have shut off the main valve and six hours later it is still holding pressure in the lines. I am however stumped with changing the two beer lines. I am having trouble getting the two brass nuts undone in the tower. I even went to SuperCheap for a sacrificial 1" ring spanner. Having cut the ring out in the spanner to go over the line I still could not get it over the nut due to the adjacent nut from the other tap. A visit to the local brew shop on Monday to get the right tool may be in order.

The Kegerator is a no name BF-163, being Beer Fridge and 163 litre... The digital display can only be set to go down to +2C, I believe replacement controller boards are now available that will allow you to set down to -4C if desired.

I have had a look inside the six kegs, they all had pressure from the previous owner, a good clean is required on most of them... As the gas is now ready to go hopefully I will get time tomorrow to fill my first keg and at least fill the head space with CO2.

Cheers
    Ron

Total Downloaded
    Had a sip yet Ron????
    Andrew
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4

Total Downloaded
    Technically, yes, but not from a keg.

On Sunday when I checked the S.G. it was still a bit high and there was a lot of yeast in suspension. I took a "sip" from the test tube. The brew is my second go at a two can ale and is currently 2 1/2 weeks in the fermentor. My first two can was a Little Creatures imitation and I ended up leaving that for four weeks before bottling. These 2 cans seem to start off quickly but have a very long taper. My ale started to bubble the air lock 30mins after pitching the yeast. On the second day it blew out the air lock and filled the top of the lid, first time I have had that happen. The brew sits at a constant 24C which is in the mid range for an ale yeast...

Mean while I went to two brew shops on Monday seeking a suitable tower wrench. No such luck... So back home and modified my ring spanner by cutting out approx 1/4 of the ring. I was then able to undo both nuts with the additional helpful cursing... All beer lines are now replaced and ready to go.

I also purchased and installed a replacement controller PCB. In theory I can now select from -4C to +28C instead of +2C to +5C. I'm not too sure about the actual accuracy of the temperature measurement. After I replaced the board the fridge indicated 3C cooler than before I started, and that was with the power off for approx 20mins... I will obtain a thermometer at some stage to calibrate this but suspect that it is indicating at least 4C cooler than it actually is...

Will check the S.G. on the weekend again. Fortunately I still have a generous supply of full king browns.

Cheers
    Ron

Total Downloaded
    I havent done SG's for years.
    Once you get in front with 2 fermenters it doesnt matter if you are a tad premature kegging,the brew can finish in the kegs before they hit the fridge.
    Andrew
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast