Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Project - Calamity Pics/Questions

Total Downloaded

New Project - Calamity Pics/Questions

Hi All,

I have started the strip down on the Series 2a LWB Station Wagon. It is powered by a Holden 186 engine.

First question - which 5 speed gearbox is this? I also noticed that the rear diff was "4.7" written on it. Does this mean lower revs at a higher speed?

Passenger view:

Drivers view:

A close up of the numbers on the gearbox:

A close up of the number on the transfer box:

Next up - what does this linkage on the passenger side of the gearbox do? See the linkage that is at the bottom of the pic - that comes off a black square mount? WT?

And lastly - this is on the drivers side, and I assume that it is a fuel pump? Perhaps 2 fuel pumps?

Drivers side:

Looking from the passengers side:

As always - any help is greatly appreciated!
    54 Series 1 86
    61 Series 2 109 - Club Rego
    76 2 Door Range Rover
    78 101 Forward Control - Club Rego
    88 Perentie FFR - Club Rego
    90 4 Door Range Rover - Club Rego
    93 Discovery 1 200 Tdi - Club Rego
    98 Freelander 1 - Full Rego
    22 Defedner 90 - Full rego

Total Downloaded
    I hopefully know an SU double fuel pump when I see one. AFAIR they were fitted to Jags and other large engines. Seem a bit of overkill for a Holden.

Fuel Pumps for vintage & classic cars

There was a thread a couple of years ago with what looked like exactly the same setup as yours. AFAIR the gearbox was a Nissan and the numbers were about the conversion.
    Someone on here knows the story.
    Regards Philip A

Total Downloaded
    Yes that is a twin SU fuel pump fitted to carby V12 jags. It uses a points system that is impossible to set right and they burn points - they are extremely problematic because of the points. The pump themselves are great.

I have converted the one I have to electronic and now works great.

Dunno about the gearbox through but I believe the gearbox out of a Nissan Urvan/Canstar was a common 5 speed conversion.

Garry
    REMLR 243

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
    1977 FC 101
    1976 Jaguar XJ12C
    1973 Haflinger AP700
    1971 Jaguar V12 E-Type Series 3 Roadster
    1957 Series 1 88"
    1957 Series 1 88" Station Wagon

JDNSW is offline RoverLord Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    The dual pump was fitted to six cylinder Series Landrovers, so I assume it is original. I don't recognise the gearbox, but the transfer case is a standard Series one. I suspect that the gearbox is a professional conversion, possibly with a new top where it originally had side controls.

4.7 diffs were standard on all Series except some 80" and Stage 1, but since they are interchangeable, measuring turns or counting teeth would seem to be a worthwhile idea.

John
    John

JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

Total Downloaded
    You didn't buy the thing Wayne and I picked up?

Total Downloaded
    Hi Mick,

The one and the same. Although I didn't buy it - Wayne had to get rid if it, and the rest is history! A case of beer does wonders.
    54 Series 1 86
    61 Series 2 109 - Club Rego
    76 2 Door Range Rover
    78 101 Forward Control - Club Rego
    88 Perentie FFR - Club Rego
    90 4 Door Range Rover - Club Rego
    93 Discovery 1 200 Tdi - Club Rego
    98 Freelander 1 - Full Rego
    22 Defedner 90 - Full rego

Total Downloaded
    I was just looking at a 2004 post and AFAIR the MF refers to a previous name of Marks 4WD conversions. The post jogged my old memory.

If You Google MF conversion at the bottom of the page you will see several posts about The conversions.
    Regards Philip A

Total Downloaded
    Marks Adaptors did a conversion kit for both Nissan Cabstar five speed as well as a four speed box. I had one of the four speeds in a 2A wagon, and it was the same length as a Series box, the five was longer and you needed to either move the engine forward or the transfer case back, not sure how much. A mate had a Series 3 with the five speed Cabstar box and loved it. Another mate fitted a few including one behind a 3.9 Isuzu, then added a 110 bonnet and it looked like a Stage 1. I think the linkage on the left of the box is just a mount.

Jeff

Total Downloaded
    Hi guys, Im so glad I looked here today, as I bought a series 3 a few weeks ago and was wondering what gbox was fitted to it. It has the same gbox as pictured. Great. The linkage on the side is a mount to stop the gbox sliding forwards or backwards if the engine mounts break with the original 6cyl engine and the fuel pump is a dual electric SU type pump and should have a switch on the dash that says pump 1 or 2. This setup was used in a series 2a 6 cyl that I bought that had dual 16 gallon fuel tanks fitted and worked well. I hope this helps as it has helped me greatly.

Cheers Rod

Just looked at the side mount. The end bolted to the front of the box is actually supposed to be bolted to the chassis x member. Not that it really matters anymore...lol.

Cheers Rod
    Last edited by 67hardtop; 1st December 2014 at 11:39 PM. Reason: just had a closer look at the side mount

Total Downloaded
    She's a beaut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast