Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Flexible hose to cylinder pipe

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,807

    Flexible hose to cylinder pipe

    Hello again from Sherwood.

    A quick technical question concerning the rigid pipe that connects the front wheel cylinders to the flexible brake hose on a Series 3 Land Rover. My 2.25 litre is being fitted with brakes from a 2.6 litre truck.

    For the dual line models there are two different part numbers specified for 4 and 6 cylinder trucks - NRC4257 and NRC4258 for 6 cylinder and NTC4794 and NRC4795 for 4 cylinder. The pairs being LHS/RHS.

    The 6 cylinder variants appear to be hard to get cf the 4 cylinder variants. What is the actual difference between the two?

    I can’t really see why they would be technically different (eg. between a 4 cylinder 109” and 6 cylinder 109”) in terms of length or diameter because they are routed from the back of the swivel housing to one of the two wheel cylinders and presumably these are the same dimensions regardless of the engine size?

    Where is logic failing me here?

    Cheers,

    Neil

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by S3ute View Post
    Hello again from Sherwood.

    A quick technical question concerning the rigid pipe that connects the front wheel cylinders to the flexible brake hose on a Series 3 Land Rover. My 2.25 litre is being fitted with brakes from a 2.6 litre truck.

    For the dual line models there are two different part numbers specified for 4 and 6 cylinder trucks - NRC4257 and NRC4258 for 6 cylinder and NTC4794 and NRC4795 for 4 cylinder. The pairs being LHS/RHS.

    The 6 cylinder variants appear to be hard to get cf the 4 cylinder variants. What is the actual difference between the two?

    I can’t really see why they would be technically different (eg. between a 4 cylinder 109” and 6 cylinder 109”) in terms of length or diameter because they are routed from the back of the swivel housing to one of the two wheel cylinders and presumably these are the same dimensions regardless of the engine size?

    Where is logic failing me here?

    Cheers,

    Neil
    Hello again.

    Still haven’t resolved this query.

    Any insights out there?

    Cheers,

    Neil
    Hon Secretary - SLOw Inc

    1975 S3 88" - Ratel

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    22,596
    The six cylinder has wider brake shoes and drums than the four (although in late production they are the same as the six). This means that, since the centreline of the shoe is the same relative to the cylinder, the cylinder is moved sideways relative to the mounting point of the brake backing plate. This means that the pressed shape of the backing plate is different.

    I would assume that this means the pipe has to be a different shape to conform to this. I haven't looked, but it is possible that the wheel cylinders are different as well, although I don't think so.
    John

    JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Blair Athol, Adelaide South Aust.
    Posts
    2,555
    I think that due to the wheel cylinders being fitted slightly deeper on the 6 cyl backing plates, the pipes are just a little bit longer where they screw into the wheel cylinders, to clear the backing plate, so they dont rub on the plate.
    Cheers, Rod


    BETSY
    1967 Series 2a. 109 4 cyl petrol, Fairey o/drive, Athol Hedges roof.
    Currently undergoing rebuild.
    Will have-- soft top, 4 wheel disc brakes, salisbury rear diff, military colour, 12 pin nato socket, dual pintle hitch....

    1975 Series 3. 109 6cyl 186, 5 speed Nissan cabstar gearbox, mechanical winch, roo bar, kings awning, 50" light bar, roof rack, twin 6"light bars, kings awning tent.

    1969 NO. 5 trailer. ARN 176 464. soft top.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by JDNSW View Post
    The six cylinder has wider brake shoes and drums than the four (although in late production they are the same as the six). This means that, since the centreline of the shoe is the same relative to the cylinder, the cylinder is moved sideways relative to the mounting point of the brake backing plate. This means that the pressed shape of the backing plate is different.

    I would assume that this means the pipe has to be a different shape to conform to this. I haven't looked, but it is possible that the wheel cylinders are different as well, although I don't think so.
    Thanks.
    Hon Secretary - SLOw Inc

    1975 S3 88" - Ratel

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by 67hardtop View Post
    I think that due to the wheel cylinders being fitted slightly deeper on the 6 cyl backing plates, the pipes are just a little bit longer where they screw into the wheel cylinders, to clear the backing plate, so they dont rub on the plate.
    Thanks.
    Hon Secretary - SLOw Inc

    1975 S3 88" - Ratel

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!