Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Td5 Vs Puma Economy (Gav)

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Brisbane Area
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMick View Post
    I haven't heard of any major problems with Puma engines, they are in widespread use in Fords and seem rugged and reliable.
    Pumas can be remapped to 170
    bhp with a larger intercooler and have plenty of torque, useful for towing.

    So I filled up today and I can report averaging 10.9 l/100 km over 787 km. About half that was towing the camper, not at 110 km/h, but at normal speeds. So without the camper I'd expect that to drop to maybe 10.5 l/100 kms. Hope that helps.
    I would have to agree..... plus if u ever had to replace the injectors, then at least the Puma will not break the bank, unlike the Td5....
    Cheers.....
    Rob M

    =============
    Car-1: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto
    Car-2: 1995 Defender Tdi (Now Registered)
    Car-3: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (Now retired )
    Car-4: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car & current touring vehicle)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Melrose SA
    Posts
    2,327
    With a design life of 800,000 km with most of the development done with Kero the TD5 injectors are likely a whole lot less trouble than the Puma (ducks for cover)

    Much cheaper to do an injector pump on a TD5

    Quote Originally Posted by Robmacca View Post
    I would have to agree..... plus if u ever had to replace the injectors, then at least the Puma will not break the bank, unlike the Td5....

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    St Helena,Melbourne
    Posts
    10,312
    Quote Originally Posted by djam1 View Post
    With a design life of 800,000 km with most of the development done with Kero the TD5 injectors are likely a whole lot less trouble than the Puma (ducks for cover)

    Much cheaper to do an injector pump on a TD5
    No need to duck, history has shown how reliable the TD5 injectors are. Are chops how his puma injectors were and what they cost to replace.
    98 TDI AUTO SE DISCO - 3" toughdogs, koni's, M8000 and bar, 265 MT's and still adding !
    2003 Dingo offroad camper trailer
    1998 Triumph Daytona T595
    1974 VW Kombi bus
    1958 Holden FC special sedan

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    In my D2a Ripping It Up
    Posts
    7,872
    Quote Originally Posted by loanrangie View Post
    No need to duck, history has shown how reliable the TD5 injectors are. Are chops how his puma injectors were and what they cost to replace.
    And the injection pump
    He was lucky it was still under warranty
    cheers chris


    My Toy 04 D2a Td5 Manual With Lots of Goodie Goodness
    S111 Swb a work in progress
    Two Wheel Fun Factor
    Triumph Sprint St 955i

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    It's not home.....
    Posts
    12,145
    Quote Originally Posted by loanrangie View Post
    Isnt it more like 2300+ in a Defender with 1.4 TC, in a disco its about 2150@100kph ?
    FWIW, with the stock 235/70's the Disco is pulling 2350RPM @ 100km/h

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    St Helena,Melbourne
    Posts
    10,312
    Quote Originally Posted by rick130 View Post
    FWIW, with the stock 235/70's the Disco is pulling 2350RPM @ 100km/h
    Is that TD5 Rick ?, my tdi is about 2200 @100kph that is corrected with the 32's.
    98 TDI AUTO SE DISCO - 3" toughdogs, koni's, M8000 and bar, 265 MT's and still adding !
    2003 Dingo offroad camper trailer
    1998 Triumph Daytona T595
    1974 VW Kombi bus
    1958 Holden FC special sedan

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    It's not home.....
    Posts
    12,145
    Quote Originally Posted by loanrangie View Post
    Is that TD5 Rick ?, my tdi is about 2200 @100kph that is corrected with the 32's.
    Yep, Disco 2 with the TD5.

    The best fuel economy I've had in the last 3000km was 11.9l/100km with the cruise set at about 103-105km/h, but it does have a roof top tent as a big parachute.
    It's gone to the mid/high 12's now, but I've been doing lots of slow dirt/muddy tracks too.

    I reckon it'd get a lot better with some 31's or 32's dropping the revs back a bit.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Nirvana near Albany W.A.
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by rick130 View Post
    Yep, Disco 2 with the TD5.

    The best fuel economy I've had in the last 3000km was 11.9l/100km with the cruise set at about 103-105km/h, but it does have a roof top tent as a big parachute.
    It's gone to the mid/high 12's now, but I've been doing lots of slow dirt/muddy tracks too.

    I reckon it'd get a lot better with some 31's or 32's dropping the revs back a bit.

    31's negligible, 32's , would be noticeably worse , and would really struggle with the rooftop tent if it has standard mapping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!