Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 65

Thread: Disco 4 Automatic Transmission FAQ - 8 Speed

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dunsborough
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by justinc View Post
    Yup. But the 8spd doesnt need a steel pan conversion....
    Hi Justin, I've been dithering about getting my transmission oil changed, but keep getting mechanics trying to talk me out of it - "too early", and "those things are good for 200,000km" etc etc.

    I've bought the oil (Lifeguard 8) and am about to head off towing our 2 ton trailer to the Kimberley, about a 10,000km round trip. Am I being overly-cautious about getting the oil changed? The car has only done 53,000km, about 15,000 of that towing the trailer over the past couple of years.

    And last, I saw earlier you commented that the plastic pan on the 8 speed can be replaced with another plastic pan, not a metal one, is that correct?
    2016 Disco 4 SE - LR tank, RWC, Gap IID
    2012 Mercedes 250 CGI Estate
    2012 L322 TDV8 Luxury (badly missed!)
    2010 RRS 3.0 (sold)

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Worongary Qld
    Posts
    10
    Just had a full service on the 8 speed transmission, 2014 SDV6 SE, 72,000km. Had it done at The Transmission Centre, Underwood and the cost was $650, using "non genuine" fluid. Got quoted $850 using genuine fluid but Scott the manager assured me that the fluid used was as good as the genuine. They used genuine parts, filter etc, and Scott did make the comment that the non genuine pan was only a few dollars cheaper and didn't come with new plug and bolts that the genuine came with, so no-brainer really. Happy with the service provided.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kingston, Tassie, OZ.
    Posts
    13,454
    I am 100000% opposed to ANY so called similar fluids. For goodness sakes LG8 is only $48/litre. You need 6 litres tops to do a standard service and pan replacement . WHY DO PEOPLE TAKE RISKS WITH NON GENUINE FLUIDS!!!
    The Isuzu 110. Solid and as dependable as a rock, coming soon with auto box😊
    The Range Rover L322 4.4.TTDV8 ....probably won't bother with the remap..😈

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kingston, Tassie, OZ.
    Posts
    13,454
    Quote Originally Posted by GregMilner View Post
    Hi Justin, I've been dithering about getting my transmission oil changed, but keep getting mechanics trying to talk me out of it - "too early", and "those things are good for 200,000km" etc etc.

    I've bought the oil (Lifeguard 8) and am about to head off towing our 2 ton trailer to the Kimberley, about a 10,000km round trip. Am I being overly-cautious about getting the oil changed? The car has only done 53,000km, about 15,000 of that towing the trailer over the past couple of years.

    And last, I saw earlier you commented that the plastic pan on the 8 speed can be replaced with another plastic pan, not a metal one, is that correct?
    Greg at 53k you could probably leave it alone, unless 3 t boats or vans have been hanging off the tow bar?? I would probably do it at 80k though. I just did 3.0D4 at 90k and it was well worth doing... the vehicle had towed a bit and done lots of remote outback touring fully loaded.

    Yes the original plastic pan goes straight back on. You lift the back of the gearbox up and wedge a socket between the crossmember and the rear gearbox mounting, then there is enough room to undo all the bolts and drop/ change the pan.
    The Isuzu 110. Solid and as dependable as a rock, coming soon with auto box😊
    The Range Rover L322 4.4.TTDV8 ....probably won't bother with the remap..😈

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dunsborough
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by justinc View Post
    Greg at 53k you could probably leave it alone, unless 3 t boats or vans have been hanging off the tow bar?? I would probably do it at 80k though. I just did 3.0D4 at 90k and it was well worth doing... the vehicle had towed a bit and done lots of remote outback touring fully loaded.

    Yes the original plastic pan goes straight back on. You lift the back of the gearbox up and wedge a socket between the crossmember and the rear gearbox mounting, then there is enough room to undo all the bolts and drop/ change the pan.
    Thanks Justin - good to know. As it happens I've got it booked in for a front brake pad change next Wednesday, and their LR specialist said a straight oil change will only take an hour or so, so I may as well get it done since I have the oil anyway. Leaving it for another 30,000km means the oil I bought will be at least another two years old by then.
    I was pleased to hear from him that they only ever use proper ZF transmission oil on Land Rovers - I didn't realise this when I ordered the oil from interstate. Handy to know though for future reference. Seems a lot of indies will only supply Penrite or similar.
    2016 Disco 4 SE - LR tank, RWC, Gap IID
    2012 Mercedes 250 CGI Estate
    2012 L322 TDV8 Luxury (badly missed!)
    2010 RRS 3.0 (sold)

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kingston, Tassie, OZ.
    Posts
    13,454
    Quote Originally Posted by GregMilner View Post
    Thanks Justin - good to know. As it happens I've got it booked in for a front brake pad change next Wednesday, and their LR specialist said a straight oil change will only take an hour or so, so I may as well get it done since I have the oil anyway. Leaving it for another 30,000km means the oil I bought will be at least another two years old by then.
    I was pleased to hear from him that they only ever use proper ZF transmission oil on Land Rovers - I didn't realise this when I ordered the oil from interstate. Handy to know though for future reference. Seems a lot of indies will only supply Penrite or similar.
    Good to hear about the oil, If someone wants me to use non ZF oil in their gearbox then I won't be doing the job, simple. Who is doing the work? Pm me if you want. J.
    The Isuzu 110. Solid and as dependable as a rock, coming soon with auto box😊
    The Range Rover L322 4.4.TTDV8 ....probably won't bother with the remap..😈

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kingston, Tassie, OZ.
    Posts
    13,454
    Quote Originally Posted by envee View Post
    Just had a full service on the 8 speed transmission, 2014 SDV6 SE, 72,000km. Had it done at The Transmission Centre, Underwood and the cost was $650, using "non genuine" fluid. Got quoted $850 using genuine fluid but Scott the manager assured me that the fluid used was as good as the genuine. They used genuine parts, filter etc, and Scott did make the comment that the non genuine pan was only a few dollars cheaper and didn't come with new plug and bolts that the genuine came with, so no-brainer really. Happy with the service provided.
    Saving 200 buckeroos to risk a 7k trans job??

    Priceless, and very bad advice. I would suggest it is a profit margin driven decision , not a look after the transmission I have been entrusted to service correctly decision ...

    I make no apologies for saying the above, I know for a fact that purchasing bulk through Penrite gives a huge margin allowance than through ZF, and the "best" part is that when the transmission develops issues it "wouldn't be down to the oil used"..

    Anyway that's my opinion, take it or leave it.
    The Isuzu 110. Solid and as dependable as a rock, coming soon with auto box😊
    The Range Rover L322 4.4.TTDV8 ....probably won't bother with the remap..😈

  8. #58
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    2

    Gearbox plastic pan

    Hi all. First post for me and my question is around the need to replace the plastic pan under the gearbox during a complete oil change. Mine is 2014 TDV6 D4 and I'm being quoted $515 for a new pan. They said they have replaced the pan with metal ones on earlier models so that customers don't have to keep forking out for new plastic ones but that a metal one is not available as yet for the D4. Excuse my ignorance, but why can't the plastic ones be reused?
    Cheers
    Glenn

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,030
    For $200 saving,i wouldn't even contemplate it.

    Its not like the oil is changed regularly,that sort of saving over a few years isn't even worth worrying about.

    My Indie was the same,can use a cheaper oil,no way i said,the correct fluid only.
    They did say that was by far the better option.


    Its just like putting cheaper oil in the engine,to much of a risk,for a few $.
    paul

    D4 MY12 white,2.7(with a few more killer wasps) rear air,e diff,xenons,arb bar,7 seat ,18" bfg KO2

    2009 Defender 110 (son's)ARB
    bar,snorkle,rocksliders,rack,KM2's,BAS chip, always needs a wash

    '56 S1,been in the family since...'56

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kingston, Tassie, OZ.
    Posts
    13,454
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn20869 View Post
    Hi all. First post for me and my question is around the need to replace the plastic pan under the gearbox during a complete oil change. Mine is 2014 TDV6 D4 and I'm being quoted $515 for a new pan. They said they have replaced the pan with metal ones on earlier models so that customers don't have to keep forking out for new plastic ones but that a metal one is not available as yet for the D4. Excuse my ignorance, but why can't the plastic ones be reused?
    Cheers
    Glenn
    The plastic pan is actually the filter too. If yours is an 8spd there is no steel pan yet, however unlike the 6 spd the pan is at least replaceable without having to break off the pickup tube...
    The Isuzu 110. Solid and as dependable as a rock, coming soon with auto box😊
    The Range Rover L322 4.4.TTDV8 ....probably won't bother with the remap..😈

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!