Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 4BD1T, Maximum performance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    736

    4BD1T, Maximum performance

    Hey guys.

    What sort of maximum power/ torque figures have people achieved out of the 4BD1T? Iím not talking safe tune, zero smoke sort of thing here.
    Looking at starting a diesel drag landy project, for a bit of fun. I am tossing up between using a 4JB1T and a 4BD1T. Have done a fair bit of work on 2.8L 4jb1ís getting good output 200hp 600+nm. I see the 4Bd1 as a good candidate despite the extra weight.

    Any examples dyno sheets would be great

    Cheers

    1981 Series III 109 3.6L ISUZU 5 speed (in a million pieces getting a rebuild)
    1976 Series III 88 for spare parts (gone)
    1960 series II 88 Chassis (start of restoration project, eventually)
    1964 Series IIa 109 (under restoration)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woolgoolga
    Posts
    7,231
    There's one Ausrover did for a customer, 174kw at the wheels and I think over 700nm, clutch was slipping pretty bad though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,871
    Contact Blknight.aus on here. He can help you with extracting power out of these engines. From memory, the current record is over 100PSI of boost using multiple fuel pumps on a highly modified 4BD1T in the USA a few years ago for a drag racing truck. A divorce got in the way and the engine and truck was parted out. The details are on the forum somewhere. I'm sure someone will help in with a link or two.
    Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by cripesamighty View Post
    Contact Blknight.aus on here. He can help you with extracting power out of these engines. From memory, the current record is over 100PSI of boost using multiple fuel pumps on a highly modified 4BD1T in the USA a few years ago for a drag racing truck. A divorce got in the way and the engine and truck was parted out. The details are on the forum somewhere. I'm sure someone will help in with a link or two.
    Ah yes, forgot about Blkight.aus and his wealth of knowledge on Isuzuís. Have not been too active on the forum the last few years.

    Would be good to get some info on the US based truck. A decent single pump compound setup is where I plan to head, just a upscaled version of what I have done on my Rodeo.
    I know the 4Bd1 is much more solid engine than the 4jb1t. Hoping to get an idea on what is likely the weakest link

    Cheers Paul

    1981 Series III 109 3.6L ISUZU 5 speed (in a million pieces getting a rebuild)
    1976 Series III 88 for spare parts (gone)
    1960 series II 88 Chassis (start of restoration project, eventually)
    1964 Series IIa 109 (under restoration)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,871
    From memory, the American guy with the massively tweaked 4BD1T was Randy (Carcrafter). Use both the search button at the bottom of the page (AULRO only) and google to find some of his stuff. Lots to get you started!
    Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap.

  6. #6
    Homestar's Avatar
    Homestar is offline Super Moderator & CA manager Gold Subscriber
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sunbury, VIC
    Posts
    16,567
    Pity Dougal doesnít get on here any more - he was a wealth of knowledge too - think he hangs out on Pirate 4x4 now.

    Hereís a thread with some info and a few off topic excursions to left field - 4BD1T Turbo Sizing and Performance Prediction.


    1977 101 FC - 'Chucky'
    1986 Classic RR - 'Thing'
    1976 Series III Tray
    1997 Honda CBR1000F
    2003 L322 - Gone to a new home.

    'Love with your heart - use your head for everything else.' - CaptainDisillusion

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Darwin
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by paulthepilot_5 View Post
    Hey guys.

    ... starting a diesel drag landy project, for a bit of fun...

    Cheers
    Seen this - land rover 110 county diesel quarter mile drag...4bd1t?

    YouTube

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woolgoolga
    Posts
    7,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Homestar View Post
    Pity Dougal doesnít get on here any more - he was a wealth of knowledge too - think he hangs out on Pirate 4x4 now.

    Hereís a thread with some info and a few off topic excursions to left field - 4BD1T Turbo Sizing and Performance Prediction.
    He is on 4btswaps daily though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by workingonit View Post
    Seen this - land rover 110 county diesel quarter mile drag...4bd1t?

    YouTube
    Yeah seen that one, I want to be going a lot quicker than that Im going from a 14sec TF Rodeo

    1981 Series III 109 3.6L ISUZU 5 speed (in a million pieces getting a rebuild)
    1976 Series III 88 for spare parts (gone)
    1960 series II 88 Chassis (start of restoration project, eventually)
    1964 Series IIa 109 (under restoration)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourn(ish)
    Posts
    25,103
    Quote Originally Posted by paulthepilot_5 View Post
    Ah yes, forgot about Blkight.aus and his wealth of knowledge on Isuzuís. Have not been too active on the forum the last few years.

    Would be good to get some info on the US based truck. A decent single pump compound setup is where I plan to head, just a upscaled version of what I have done on my Rodeo.
    I know the 4Bd1 is much more solid engine than the 4jb1t. Hoping to get an idea on what is likely the weakest link

    Cheers Paul
    4bd1t's are the go.

    the back of the napkin suggests that you can haul over 1000nm a the flywheel and something in the order of 700hp from the engine... but thats a lot of money for not a lot of life.

    the stock gear is good into the 200hp range and about 450-500nm but you need at least the 3 inch exhaust

    For comfortable longevity I wouldn't recommend pushing it too much more than about 160 hp and 450nm.
    Dave

    "In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

    For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

    Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    TDI D1(parting/ed)
    Tdi autoManual d1 (Kept it for the girlfriend)
    Archaeopteryx 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)


    If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!