Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: deciphering turbo codes - Garrett

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Darwin
    Posts
    1,513

    deciphering turbo codes - Garrett

    Recently acquired a naturally aspirated 4bd1 with head removed 'for a look see', along with lots of bits, including a turbo. Purchase also included another 4bd1 used in a boat to drive a generator, water jacket stuffed with corrosion, generator not included - don't know how much of the marine engine is compatible with a vehicle engine - seems to have the same specifications on the injector pump.

    Tried to find any reference to the turbo in the thread 'Turbos that work on a 4bd1' but didn't see anything that matched. The turbo has 4 ports around the spindle, 2 for oil in and out, and judging from the surface rust in the other 2 then this might be water cooled?

    The tiny tag on the turbo has this information TD 0502J 8943829000 466898-3. Large raised lettering on the housing has Garrett B.C.1. M27 A/R.48. The caste iron neck has A .8X. The adaptor to manifold has M3 89 H1 758 3650-5. The exhaust manifold looks like regular 4bd1 3 bolt.

    Went to the Garrett site but typing queries got no where. Where does this turbo fit in the Garrett range? Has it 4bd1 potential?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourn(ish)
    Posts
    25,539
    Quote Originally Posted by workingonit View Post
    Recently acquired a naturally aspirated 4bd1 with head removed 'for a look see', along with lots of bits, including a turbo. Purchase also included another 4bd1 used in a boat to drive a generator, water jacket stuffed with corrosion, generator not included - don't know how much of the marine engine is compatible with a vehicle engine - seems to have the same specifications on the injector pump.

    Tried to find any reference to the turbo in the thread 'Turbos that work on a 4bd1' but didn't see anything that matched. The turbo has 4 ports around the spindle, 2 for oil in and out, and judging from the surface rust in the other 2 then this might be water cooled?

    The tiny tag on the turbo has this information TD 0502J 8943829000 466898-3. Large raised lettering on the housing has Garrett B.C.1. M27 A/R.48. The caste iron neck has A .8X. The adaptor to manifold has M3 89 H1 758 3650-5. The exhaust manifold looks like regular 4bd1 3 bolt.

    Went to the Garrett site but typing queries got no where. Where does this turbo fit in the Garrett range? Has it 4bd1 potential?
    pics will help.


    its a watercooled turbo about equivelent to a t25 it would be great on a tdi300. should provide good low down on a 4bd1 but might get a bit strangly at the top.


    Aftermarket Turbochargers Identification. How to Identify the Garrett Turbo

    plug your numbers in there and it should give yo
    Dave

    "In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

    For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

    Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    TDI D1(parting/ed)
    Tdi autoManual d1 (Kept it for the girlfriend)
    Archaeopteryx 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)


    If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Darwin
    Posts
    1,513
    20200630_170313.jpg20200630_170351.jpg20200630_170431.jpg20200630_170451.jpg

    I assume most people will chase better highway performance, given the engine already has good off turbo torque in lower gears? Maybe big tyres dictate attention to turbo boost in lower gears?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woolgoolga
    Posts
    7,283
    Looks like a free float garret tb2518, factory isuzu. Just pick it up, walk over the bin, and place it inside. No a very desirable turbo.
    Damien
    ------------------------------------------------

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourn(ish)
    Posts
    25,539
    thats basically a stock 6x6 turbo. I've jsut sold mine but I know where it is and can look at getting the numbers from it for you for comparison.
    Dave

    "In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

    For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

    Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    TDI D1(parting/ed)
    Tdi autoManual d1 (Kept it for the girlfriend)
    Archaeopteryx 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)


    If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Darwin
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Looks like a free float garret tb2518, factory isuzu. Just pick it up, walk over the bin, and place it inside. No a very desirable turbo.
    In that case case can i turn it into a 2 inch lift?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Darwin
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Blknight.aus View Post
    thats basically a stock 6x6 turbo. I've jsut sold mine but I know where it is and can look at getting the numbers from it for you for comparison.

    Thanks Blknight, but don't put yourself to too much trouble. What did the buyer intend doing with it? Between you and Vern my curiosity has been satisfied. To be honest there was an army connection running parallel with the engine acquisition (not stolen parts) so you're spot on - like "...we've had the 6x6s loaded to 7 tonne GVM on exercises..." on that turbo?!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourn(ish)
    Posts
    25,539
    Quote Originally Posted by workingonit View Post
    Thanks Blknight, but don't put yourself to too much trouble. What did the buyer intend doing with it? Between you and Vern my curiosity has been satisfied. To be honest there was an army connection running parallel with the engine acquisition (not stolen parts) so you're spot on - like "...we've had the 6x6s loaded to 7 tonne GVM on exercises..." on that turbo?!
    7 tons is amature hour....

    hes going to put it on an NA engine, more specifically I'm probably going to do it for him.

    mine was replaced with a HX30 which given its first run is most likely to get AKA'd as the "sorry gearbox"
    Dave

    "In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

    For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

    Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    TDI D1(parting/ed)
    Tdi autoManual d1 (Kept it for the girlfriend)
    Archaeopteryx 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)


    If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourn(ish)
    Posts
    25,539
    Quote Originally Posted by workingonit View Post
    In that case case can i turn it into a 2 inch lift?
    only if you cut it in about 3rds, as I recall its 7 to 8 inches in profile.
    Dave

    "In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

    For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

    Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    TDI D1(parting/ed)
    Tdi autoManual d1 (Kept it for the girlfriend)
    Archaeopteryx 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)


    If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourn(ish)
    Posts
    25,539
    Quote Originally Posted by workingonit View Post
    20200630_170313.jpg20200630_170351.jpg20200630_170431.jpg20200630_170451.jpg

    I assume most people will chase better highway performance, given the engine already has good off turbo torque in lower gears? Maybe big tyres dictate attention to turbo boost in lower gears?
    not if you leave the 4.7s in..
    Dave

    "In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

    For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

    Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    TDI D1(parting/ed)
    Tdi autoManual d1 (Kept it for the girlfriend)
    Archaeopteryx 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)


    If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!