Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 57 of 57

Thread: Weight Question

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bacchus Marsh Vic.
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by dirvine View Post
    On another web site, it is claimed that when you put a towball weight on your car (does not matter what the weight is) weight comes off the front of the car and as such more than the tow ball weight is added to the rear axle load. The quote is much like the fulcum on a see saw. What has been quoted is that a ball weight of 350kg means about 500kg is loaded onto the rear axle. I failed physics so I am unsure if this is correct. If this is the case then I question if any car could tow a 3.5T van with a notional ball weight of 350kg. Can any of you gurus here answer my question in simple terms. I dont know how you can accurately guess the tare weight on a rear axle unless you drive over a weigh bridge, so just halving the Tare weight would not give an accurate figure, or so i would deduce as I would think more weight would be biased to the front due to the engine and gearbox being more located to the front of the vehicle.Thanks David
    Quote Originally Posted by pjh4159 View Post
    David I cannot see the logic in a statement that putting 350 kgs on the towball means adding 500kgs added to your vehicles weight! Some manufacturers place load carrying reductions greater that the added towball weight when attaching a trailer but I have not seen any similar statement on this by Landrover so I am sure it does not apply in your case. All weights added to a vehicle have to take into account your vehicle GVM, axle loads front and rear and the important GCM of vehicle and trailer combined. GVM means Gross Vehicle Mass or total weight you vehicle can carry legally with front and rear axle loads equal this weight. GCM meaning total weight of the vehicle and trailer be as a maximum weight to be legal on Australian roads.
    I took advantage of an empty VicRoads certified weigh bridge this weekend with our TVan on behind a 110 Defender.
    It produced an interesting result given this discussion with the last figures I’ve supplied.
    I run no weight distribution hitch and on coil springs all around. It would be interesting to do a similar test on a vehicle with air bag suspension and one with a weight distribution hitch.

    Defender with van attached...
    Front axle -1•20
    Rear axle- 1•94
    GVM. - 3•14
    Van axle - 1•10
    GCVM -4•24

    Van only...
    Axle. - 1•10
    Hitch. - 0•16
    GTM -1•26

    Defender only...
    Front axle - 1•32
    Rear axle. - 1•66
    GVM -2•98

    The variation on the 110 with the trailer on...
    Front axle - Decrease of 0•12
    Rear axle. - Increase of 0•28
    Cheers, Kyle



    The Good Oil.
    When did you last visit?
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/good-oil/



  2. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, South Australia
    Posts
    1,979
    That T-van is quite nose heavy given its mass.
    Cheers
    Tombie

    D4 MY11
    - Just about the way I want it.
    D90 MY15 - Just about the way Mrs Tombie wants it.
    D2 TD5 - Bugger me, Its Back again! Time to have some fun.

    Tesla Cybertruck Tri-Motor AWD
    On order...due 2021
    Gone - D1 AZZKIKR - 5.0L Supercharged with the lot
    Gone - Tombraider Defender - Lara

    And for two wheels:
    2007 Suzuki M109R Boulevard Limited - 1800cc of V-twin goodness
    2020 Suzuki Katana - Just Send It

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bacchus Marsh Vic.
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombie View Post
    That T-van is quite nose heavy given its mass.
    They all are and it’s often discussed on the Track forum.
    Cheers, Kyle



    The Good Oil.
    When did you last visit?
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/good-oil/



  4. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by alien View Post
    I took advantage of an empty VicRoads certified weigh bridge this weekend with our TVan on behind a 110 Defender.
    It produced an interesting result given this discussion with the last figures I’ve supplied.
    I run no weight distribution hitch and on coil springs all around. It would be interesting to do a similar test on a vehicle with air bag suspension and one with a weight distribution hitch.

    Defender with van attached...
    Front axle -1•20
    Rear axle- 1•94
    GVM. - 3•14
    Van axle - 1•10
    GCVM -4•24

    Van only...
    Axle. - 1•10
    Hitch. - 0•16
    GTM -1•26

    Defender only...
    Front axle - 1•32
    Rear axle. - 1•66
    GVM -2•98

    The variation on the 110 with the trailer on...
    Front axle - Decrease of 0•12
    Rear axle. - Increase of 0•28
    I’m a fan of weigh bridges and am a regular.

    Are the number right

    Van TBW is 160kg but it has increased the rear axle weight by 280kg

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bacchus Marsh Vic.
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by W&KO View Post
    I’m a fan of weigh bridges and am a regular.

    Are the number right

    Van TBW is 160kg but it has increased the rear axle weight by 280kg
    Using a weigh bridge is a daily multiple occurrence for me at work so happy I’ve recorded correct numbers.

    I’ve been over the figures a few times and double checked then with another person too.

    Yes, the rear suspension is increased by more than just the Tow Ball Weight.
    Cheers, Kyle



    The Good Oil.
    When did you last visit?
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/good-oil/



  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    11,908
    Quote Originally Posted by W&KO View Post
    I’m a fan of weigh bridges and am a regular.

    Are the number right

    Van TBW is 160kg but it has increased the rear axle weight by 280kg
    That's because the TBW is behind the rear axle and it unloads weight from the front axle onto the rear axle.
    Cheers
    Slunnie


    ~ Discovery II "Storm" ~ ~ Series IIa 6cyl ute ~ ~ Series II V8 ute ~

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by Slunnie View Post
    That's because the TBW is behind the rear axle and it unloads weight from the front axle onto the rear axle.
    Got it now

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!