Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Brake symptoms

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Otago, NZ.
    Posts
    11

    Brake symptoms

    Something has happened to my brakes in the last few weeks. The pedal feels sort of weird when I step on it, and there is not as much braking action as there used to be. This is particularly noticeable when I am just getting rolling, and at very low speed. Once I am up to speed it feels pretty well like it always has.

    The brakes have failed two inspections, and the two mechanics have suggested two quite different causes for these symptoms. What do you think please?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    12,364
    Does the change in braking correspond with if the engine has been idling or driving?

    That makes me think something to do with the (edit) brake vacuum boosting, be it the vac pump if its a diesel, the line or the booster.
    Cheers
    Slunnie


    ~ Discovery II Td5 ~ Discovery 3dr V8 ~ Series IIa 6cyl ute ~ Series II V8 ute ~

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by dogman View Post
    Something has happened to my brakes in the last few weeks. The pedal feels sort of weird when I step on it, and there is not as much braking action as there used to be. This is particularly noticeable when I am just getting rolling, and at very low speed. Once I am up to speed it feels pretty well like it always has.

    The brakes have failed two inspections, and the two mechanics have suggested two quite different causes for these symptoms. What do you think please?
    Is your car a horse and cart, or some form of Land Rover.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    12,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Farang View Post
    Is your car a horse and cart, or some form of Land Rover.
    It is in the Disco1 section.
    Cheers
    Slunnie


    ~ Discovery II Td5 ~ Discovery 3dr V8 ~ Series IIa 6cyl ute ~ Series II V8 ute ~

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Slunnie View Post
    It is in the Disco1 section.
    Yes it is, but doesn't mean anything. D1's come is a variety of flavours: petrol, diesel, ABS, no ABS. And yes, I would suspect low vacuum, but need to know where the source is.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Stuart Town
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Slunnie View Post
    Does the change in braking correspond with if the engine has been idling or driving?

    That makes me think something to do with the PAS vacuum boosting, be it the vac pump if its a diesel, the line or the booster.
    Agree, sounds like a lack of vacuum. Try revving it for 5 - 10 seconds and see if that improves it. If it does it supports what Slunnie say. Check for leaks.
    1996 Disco 1 300TDI manual - Lucille a cantankerous red head!
    1997 Disco 1 300TDI Auto - sold

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Slunnie View Post
    Does the change in braking correspond with if the engine has been idling or driving?

    That makes me think something to do with the PAS vacuum boosting, be it the vac pump if its a diesel, the line or the booster.
    As far as I am aware, the PAS has nothing what so ever to do with brake pressure!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    12,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Farang View Post
    As far as I am aware, the PAS has nothing what so ever to do with brake pressure!
    You're right, I meant power brakes (ie the Vac boost part). Its what I mean, not what I say.

    I've just edited my post.
    Cheers
    Slunnie


    ~ Discovery II Td5 ~ Discovery 3dr V8 ~ Series IIa 6cyl ute ~ Series II V8 ute ~

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Slunnie View Post
    You're right, I meant power brakes (ie the Vac boost part). Its what I mean, not what I say.

    I've just edited my post.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Otago, NZ.
    Posts
    11
    Yes, this is the disco1 section:-)

    Vehicle in question is a '96 d1 300tdi with abs. The abs isn't working.

    Thanks for those suggestions. "Low vacuum" is what the second mechanic suggested. The first one focussed on the rear discs, which do have a prominent lip.

    I have taken a chance on a used booster from allfourx4. I will have to decide whether to have a go at installing it myself. It is 4/5 spanners in haynes: "suitable for experienced DIY mechanic". I am not that, but my neighbour is and reading through it I am tempted. Like to hear from those who've done this pls. Potential pitfalls? Otoh how many hours would you expect to be billed for by a professional mechanic?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!