Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Can I swap a BCU from one Td5 to another without having to have it re-mapped?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alice Springs for now
    Posts
    291

    Can I swap a BCU from one Td5 to another without having to have it re-mapped?

    Have been told that ongoing dash light problem is likely the BCU (behind glove box unit).
    What I want to know is can I install the replacment (used) unit as "plug and play", or do I have to get dealer to transfer things like key codes (which I am told are on tmy BCU) and such, before I can install the BCU?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    west of Transylvania
    Posts
    2,810
    Quote Originally Posted by vbrab View Post
    Have been told that ongoing dash light problem is likely the BCU (behind glove box unit).
    What I want to know is can I install the replacment (used) unit as "plug and play", or do I have to get dealer to transfer things like key codes (which I am told are on tmy BCU) and such, before I can install the BCU?
    It's not plug and play but completely programmable with many options, you have to install the BCU to your vehicle then programme it with nanocom or similar(make the ECM to learn the security code, synk keys and set the BCU to suit your vehicle's equipments and your needs)... to see how many options there are check the attachment
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Discovery Td5 (2000), manual, tuned

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alice Springs for now
    Posts
    291

    Installing BCU from another Disco

    Quote Originally Posted by sierrafery View Post
    It's not plug and play but completely programmable with many options, you have to install the BCU to your vehicle then programme it with nanocom or similar(make the ECM to learn the security code, synk keys and set the BCU to suit your vehicle's equipments and your needs)... to see how many options there are check the attachment
    Thanks to sierrafery for .pdf on how to install BCU.
    My concern is that I went to my dealer who told me they didn't have clue how to do that as their machine/code reader had broken down and since they didn't want to pay for new code reader programmer type tool (because D2's are so not modern), they couldn't help me.
    I have a nanocom for the car, but not sure I have the smarts to install myself. Will read the instructions closely and think about that
    I am in NT and may have to wait until I go back to Australia (any other state state) to get is sorted.
    The problem doesn't affect the running of teh vehicle, just a pain when it decides to leave all dash lights on when key is out of ignition.
    aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    west of Transylvania
    Posts
    2,810
    If your problem is that the ALL the warning lights are staying on just like that with ignition on IMO it's quite unlikely to be the BCU in the first place, if just some of them(depends which) then it might be possible
    Discovery Td5 (2000), manual, tuned

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Lambton, NSW
    Posts
    683
    It's not really that hard to change over with the nanocom, might be someone local that could assist? try putting out a sos call for another member to help? I think there's an independent landy specialist in Alice......

    Would also pay the remove and check the internal fuse box for water damage/corrosion, when out remove the outer plastic covers and liberally spray with a good quality electrical cleaner especially between the circuit boards.

    Lemo

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alice Springs for now
    Posts
    291

    problem with ALL dash lights on

    THis dash light business goes on.

    I am still getting All dash lights and can see fuel guage and temp guages working also (with key off).
    Does not do it when I first drive to work in morning and turn off ignition, all normals, no lights., but if I have to drive about a bit and car gets warm, then when I turn off ignition ALL dash lights come on.
    If I put foot on brake they go off.
    If I turn off ignition while foot is on brake they do not come on, UNTIL I lift foot then they come back on.
    If I disconnect the battery they go off, but if I immediatly re-connect battery they come back on.
    If battery has been disconnected for hour or more, they do not come on when battery re-connected.
    Does not seem to affect anything when vehicle running.
    Will wait until I am in a city perhaps and then see what can be done.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Nirvana near Albany W.A.
    Posts
    1,545
    If it's not the internal fuse box then make sure you don't have a faulty brake controller fitted

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Apsley
    Posts
    100

    nt dealer

    Quote Originally Posted by vbrab View Post
    Thanks to sierrafery for .pdf on how to install BCU.
    My concern is that I went to my dealer who told me they didn't have clue how to do that as their machine/code reader had broken down and since they didn't want to pay for new code reader programmer type tool (because D2's are so not modern), they couldn't help me.
    I have a nanocom for the car, but not sure I have the smarts to install myself. Will read the instructions closely and think about that
    I am in NT and may have to wait until I go back to Australia (any other state state) to get is sorted.
    The problem doesn't affect the running of teh vehicle, just a pain when it decides to leave all dash lights on when key is out of ignition.
    aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh.
    I know what you mean about NT dealer I had a rear diff that needed repair under warranty and they did not have the tools to do it ,waites over 6 weeks and the could not tell me when they could do it . I replaced the bcu on my D2 using a nanocom ,look around this site or black box solutions for instructions once you have them it is quite simple .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alice Springs for now
    Posts
    291

    temporay solution to dash lights.

    Quote Originally Posted by 354 chamberlain View Post
    I know what you mean about NT dealer I had a rear diff that needed repair under warranty and they did not have the tools to do it ,waites over 6 weeks and the could not tell me when they could do it . I replaced the bcu on my D2 using a nanocom ,look around this site or black box solutions for instructions once you have them it is quite simple .
    THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED. (but it works)
    I found that if I put the car chamois container on the brake pedal it wedges nicely against the dash, and lights go off.
    Car locks and all, and when I come back and re-start, the lights stay off when I take away the Chaois container and things go on as normal.
    THAT is a temporary solution.........but a solution.

    When dash lights stay on, fuel and temp gauge all stay on, but go off if brake is depressed. !@#$%!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Apsley
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by vbrab View Post
    THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED. (but it works)
    I found that if I put the car chamois container on the brake pedal it wedges nicely against the dash, and lights go off.
    Car locks and all, and when I come back and re-start, the lights stay off when I take away the Chaois container and things go on as normal.
    THAT is a temporary solution.........but a solution.

    When dash lights stay on, fuel and temp gauge all stay on, but go off if brake is depressed. !@#$%!!
    I have just had some issues with my D2 after I left the ignition on all night with the M&S lights flashing and could not start the vehicle ,the short solution after 3 days of stress was to clear the transmission faults with the nanocom then disconnected the battery for at least half an hour reconected the battery and started straight away , not sure if it will work for you but it is worth a try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!