Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: Firewood or Slabs?

  1. #51
    Homestar's Avatar
    Homestar is offline Super Moderator & CA manager Gold Subscriber
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sunbury, VIC
    Posts
    18,768
    [QUOTE=Hogarthde;3054980]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tote View Post
    Sooo, all the wood gurus out there, I have this sitting on the farm drying out since 2018.

    It's yellow box, I was planning to use it for firewood

    Worth slabbing?

    Absolutely !

    dave
    Late reply but it reminded me of the huge yellow box log up where I used to work. It is about 6' diameter and around 20' long. It had been there for more than 30 years when I was there and probably a lot longer. Many have tried to cut a wheel or two off it (including me), all have failed from what I can tell. It even beat a 30 tonne excavator with a hydraulic super saw on it that was at the river near it clearing willow for several weeks. While it did manage to lop one wheel off - it trashed the almost new chain on it so he wouldn't take a second cut and boy did it struggle. The operator said he'd never come across anything like it. We did eventually break up that wheel and burn it but we had to use my 066 Stihl chainsaw to cut it up into usable chunks as the hydraulic splitter wouldn't touch it either and that took days. The rest is still there to this day - 20 years after our attempt to turn it into firewood. It has a few more scars on it from other attempts but nothing else has been removed from it.


    1977 101 FC - 'Chucky'
    1986 Classic RR - 'Thing'
    1977 Jaguar XJ6

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Normanhurst - Sydney
    Posts
    8,544
    [QUOTE=Homestar;3097307]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogarthde View Post

    Late reply but it reminded me of the huge yellow box log up where I used to work. It is about 6' diameter and around 20' long. It had been there for more than 30 years when I was there and probably a lot longer. Many have tried to cut a wheel or two off it (including me), all have failed from what I can tell. It even beat a 30 tonne excavator with a hydraulic super saw on it that was at the river near it clearing willow for several weeks. While it did manage to lop one wheel off - it trashed the almost new chain on it so he wouldn't take a second cut and boy did it struggle. The operator said he'd never come across anything like it. We did eventually break up that wheel and burn it but we had to use my 066 Stihl chainsaw to cut it up into usable chunks as the hydraulic splitter wouldn't touch it either and that took days. The rest is still there to this day - 20 years after our attempt to turn it into firewood. It has a few more scars on it from other attempts but nothing else has been removed from it.
    Rerminds me of this load of what I was told was white (yellow? is it the same?) box that I collected for firewood a few weeks ago. I had to sharpen the chain three times to get the trailer load and even then I finished off by not blocking it all - that's being done as I need it.



    Roger



    "Experience is something you don't get unless you have a go."

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Yass NSW
    Posts
    4,442
    Looks like white box to me which in my experience is harder than yellow box we've got a few very old white box trees arount that would be hundreds of years old. There is one that was fallen when we bought the place that has a 6ft diameter trunk left with a similar cut through it to the ne mentioned above.

    Regards,
    Tote
    Go home, your igloo is on fire....
    2014 Chile Red L494 RRS Autobiography Supercharged
    MY2016 Aintree Green Defender 130 Cab Chassis
    1957 Series 1 107 ute - In pieces

    Assorted Falcons and Jeeps.....

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Normanhurst - Sydney
    Posts
    8,544
    Cut seven slabs & two flitches from a pine tree a neighbour had cut down about a month ago. No worries with chain going blunt with softwood like this - only gave it one touch up after the third cut.
    Slabs are 50mm thick, 1570mm long and around 600mm wide with some nice patterns. I have no idea what I'll do with them at this stage so if anyone's interested in one or more of them then get in touch.










    Roger



    "Experience is something you don't get unless you have a go."

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Yass NSW
    Posts
    4,442
    The tree on the left is a white box, next to it on the ground is the remainder of it's mate which is 6ft in diameter

    IMGP5500.1.jpg

    The tree can be seen in the background of this picture taken in 1947

    Capture.JPG

    Regards,
    Tote
    Go home, your igloo is on fire....
    2014 Chile Red L494 RRS Autobiography Supercharged
    MY2016 Aintree Green Defender 130 Cab Chassis
    1957 Series 1 107 ute - In pieces

    Assorted Falcons and Jeeps.....

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    12,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
    Cut seven slabs & two flitches from a pine tree a neighbour had cut down about a month ago. No worries with chain going blunt with softwood like this - only gave it one touch up after the third cut.
    Slabs are 50mm thick, 1570mm long and around 600mm wide with some nice patterns. I have no idea what I'll do with them at this stage so if anyone's interested in one or more of them then get in touch.

    Nice slabs there Roger. Keep them stacked with slats between them as they season. It may help to control the movement in them as the fibres dry.
    Cheers
    Slunnie


    ~ Discovery II Td5 ~ Discovery 3dr V8 ~ Series IIa 6cyl ute ~ Series II V8 ute ~

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Normanhurst - Sydney
    Posts
    8,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Slunnie View Post
    Nice slabs there Roger. Keep them stacked with slats between them as they season. It may help to control the movement in them as the fibres dry.
    Nurries.
    I cut a few 20mm x 20mm spacers from some old decking boards I replaced recently and have stacked the slabs in a nice dry place as suggested.
    I'm also going to strap them together today with a few wide ratchet straps as I did with the thinner Sydney Blue Gum slabs.

    Roger



    "Experience is something you don't get unless you have a go."

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    St Helena,Melbourne
    Posts
    14,199
    Some nice coffee table tops there or bench tops.
    MY08 TDV6 SE D3- permagrin ooh yeah !
    98 TDI AUTO SE DISCO - gone and will be missed.
    2003 Dingo offroad camper trailer
    1998 Triumph Daytona T595
    1974 VW Kombi bus
    1958 Holden FC special sedan

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Wheelers Hill, Melbourne
    Posts
    3,970

    Thumbs up Slabs

    I'm a bit late into this thread, but I was an area manager for McCulloch chainsaws back in the early 80's.- just at the end of them making great chainsaws. That meant quite a few field days & the Royal Show demonstrations ( pic is of a Forestry Industry expo) . We had a mill which consisted of two 100cc saws & a double ended -probably 60" bar & special chain- it had less wide cutters, probably what you have Roger.
    We regularly cut up slabs as the noise soon created a crowd. The best slabs were 150 year old Elm trees that were removed from Caulfield park to make way for a lake- 2x 6' & about 50" wide. They cost us a 50' reel of chain !!. We had a backlog of orders from the audience & sold them for beer money- but we did drink a fair bit on those occasions.
    From what we gleaned from the old timers, especially red gum, was the best result is to "chuck them in a dam for a year or so" we soon found that anything less than 50mm would warp, and cypress was useless as slabs.
    Very impressed by your efforts there... but I guess you don't have a dam..
    DavidFime.jpg
    DeeJay
    1999 Defender Wagon
    1977 SWB Hardtop

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Melbourne
    Posts
    632
    Yes, Elm is lovely.

    Recently made this bathroom double vanity top from a old Elm in Melbourne.

    Really too good to hide in the bathroom 😊.

    53DB6A46-3A49-4B84-887F-119E5404EA76.jpg
    Cheers

    Simon
    2003 D2a TD5, ACE, SLS, Vienna Green.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!