Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Auto trans shudder solutions - how did they work out?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Suburban Canberra
    Posts
    982

    Auto trans shudder solutions - how did they work out?

    The D3 has the start of the transmission shudder due to the glazing in the toque converter.

    I have read about a lot of remedies when the issue was first beginning to appear. I was wondering what members experiences have been and how long the solution lasted?

    Did the 'added a bottle of Dr Tranny and it fixed it' last for 5,000km or 25,000km? Same with replacing the torque converter with a refurbished one, is it still going?

    And finally the question that I know I'm not going to like the answer to, anyone recently had their auto box rebuilt, if so how much did it cost?
    _____________________________________________

    2005 D3 TDV6 HSE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullible View Post
    The D3 has the start of the transmission shudder due to the glazing in the toque converter.

    I have read about a lot of remedies when the issue was first beginning to appear. I was wondering what members experiences have been and how long the solution lasted?

    Did the 'added a bottle of Dr Tranny and it fixed it' last for 5,000km or 25,000km? Same with replacing the torque converter with a refurbished one, is it still going?

    And finally the question that I know I'm not going to like the answer to, anyone recently had their auto box rebuilt, if so how much did it cost?
    There's a lot of info in the transmission thread. Rebuild quotes vary widely in the order of $3500 to $8000. There's some evidence you get what you pay for.
    Some say if you can replace the torque converter early enough you can save yourself a rebuild. Seems to be very case by case - presumably related to total kms driven, service and use history.
    Ppl say the Dr Tranny works but obviously it's putting off the inevitable.
    I had my 2010 6 speed serviced at around 200k and it developed a revs flutter and shudder relatively soon after. Turned out when I took it to a different mechanic that the shudder was due to the rubbish non-Lifeguard fluid that had been put in it.
    Now 2010 RRS TDV8 ('Roger' - Moore I assume...)
    Then 2010 D4 2.7 TDV6 ('Jumbo')
    First love 2002 D2 TD5 ('Disco Stu')

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart02 View Post
    There's a lot of info in the transmission thread. Rebuild quotes vary widely in the order of $3500 to $8000. There's some evidence you get what you pay for.
    Some say if you can replace the torque converter early enough you can save yourself a rebuild. Seems to be very case by case - presumably related to total kms driven, service and use history.
    Ppl say the Dr Tranny works but obviously it's putting off the inevitable.
    I had my 2010 6 speed serviced at around 200k and it developed a revs flutter and shudder relatively soon after. Turned out when I took it to a different mechanic that the shudder was due to the rubbish non-Lifeguard fluid that had been put in it.

    My shudder appeared at 135000 Dr Tranny was used for a further 40000 then changed to a metal pan and drain and refill with Lifeguard 6 twice.
    Yesterday put in for Torque converter and transmission rebuild at an expected cost of $6500
    So the job was put off for 2 years and approx 45000 kms.
    The cost includes remove / replace at local independent and rebuild at ZF in Sydney
    Last edited by gandalf; 18th July 2017 at 07:04 AM. Reason: More information
    D3 TDV6 HSE 2008

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
    My shudder appeared at 135000 Dr Tranny was used for a further 40000 then changed to a metal pan and drain and refill with Lifeguard 6 twice.
    Yesterday put in for Torque converter and transmission rebuild at an expected cost of $6500
    So the job was put off for 2 years and approx 45000 kms.
    The cost includes remove / replace at local independent and rebuild at ZF in Sydney
    So you had it serviced and it only lasted 5k after that? I have heard of accelerated "degradation" post-service being a thing when they haven't been regularly serviced (I was warned of this when getting mine serviced for the first time at close to 200k)
    Now 2010 RRS TDV8 ('Roger' - Moore I assume...)
    Then 2010 D4 2.7 TDV6 ('Jumbo')
    First love 2002 D2 TD5 ('Disco Stu')

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart02 View Post
    So you had it serviced and it only lasted 5k after that? I have heard of accelerated "degradation" post-service being a thing when they haven't been regularly serviced (I was warned of this when getting mine serviced for the first time at close to 200k)
    Just to clarify, my torque converter didn't get any worse after I did the service.
    It just didn't get any better, so I decided to bite the bullet now, rather than put it off any longer.
    D3 TDV6 HSE 2008

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Wantirna South, Vic
    Posts
    1,450
    I bought my D3 with 310k on it. Shudder and hunting evident at time of purchase. Had non LifeGuard fluid and steel pan installed, then at 347k 2 tubes of Dr Tranny. Lasted until about 355k with no issues. Transmission is dead from age, having it replaced next week.
    Regards, Will

    Stornoway Grey '09 D3 TDV6 SE, 2015 TERRITORY Engine at 348k
    LLAMS, FYRLYTS, OL D4 Bar
    Safari Snorkel, D4 hitch, ARB CKMA12

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Logan
    Posts
    11,375
    Latest Land Rover Monthly has an article says around 150,000 miles the auto needs a full flush, new filter and new oil. They fitted a metal sump and separate filter.
    2009 Defender 110 2.4. ARB bulbar, Ironman winch, Safari snorkel, Steinbauer chip, Lightforce spots, Long Ranger tank, Off Road Systems drawer, Traxide 160 controller, Tekonsha brakes, Mulgo seat runners, Uniden UHF, Nuggetstuff seat corners, breathers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMick View Post
    Latest Land Rover Monthly has an article says around 150,000 miles the auto needs a full flush, new filter and new oil. They fitted a metal sump and separate filter.
    Which aligns with our service books which say 234,000km I think. ZF, the auto manufacturer themselves specify 60k miles / 100k km, quite a disparity.
    I have to admit, even I think 150k miles is not conducive to a long life. Given LR state 'filled for life' they have clearly decided a Disco is end of life at 230,000km.Auto trans shudder solutions - how did they work out?
    2010 TDV6 3.0L Discovery 4 HSE

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Logan
    Posts
    11,375
    I'd certainly change auto oil more frequently than 150,000 miles.
    Simply draining it may not get all the oil either.
    Don't forget the auto filter either as I know from experience it can clog up.
    2009 Defender 110 2.4. ARB bulbar, Ironman winch, Safari snorkel, Steinbauer chip, Lightforce spots, Long Ranger tank, Off Road Systems drawer, Traxide 160 controller, Tekonsha brakes, Mulgo seat runners, Uniden UHF, Nuggetstuff seat corners, breathers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Canberra Australia
    Posts
    13,322
    Filled for life is a furfy and not even Landrover claim it is "filled for life" - not sure where that came from. The normal usage service interval claimed by LR is 10 years or 240,000km which ever is earliest - and earlier for heavy duty use which includes dusty conditions, towing and city commuter use - so nothing there about "filled for Life".

    ZF claim oil/filter should be done at around 80,000km so much earlier.

    Noting that this is not a simple drain and fill as this removes only about 1/3 of the oil. To do a proper oil change a "megaflush is required" which means removing then oil cooler pipes and pumping in oil and removing the old oil until clean stuff comes out. This only removes about 80-90% of the old oil - so you do the process again - hence the megaflush term.

    Garry
    REMLR 243

    2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
    1977 FC 101
    1973 Haflinger AP700
    1971 Jaguar V12 E-Type Series 3 Roadster
    1957 Series 1 88"
    1957 Series 1 88" Station Wagon

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!