Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How to fix this oil leaking?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3

    How to fix this oil leaking?

    Hi,

    I am new member but old discovery owner.

    My discovery 4 2014.

    I have been done a service in a land rover dealership service dept in 2019.

    This time, I decided to change the engine oil by myself.

    And I found this:

    7bf0fe342a98bf39ccd13b94db206f7.jpg

    The hose is near the oil bolt. I can see the hose was leaking for a while after last service. It seems that the hose clamp was missing.

    So I added a new hose clamp. And it looks much better, but still some leaking (very minors).

    7f2827e73cf4bdcbbf4595432e2114d.jpg

    Any one can tell what the hose (functionality) is? And what is the proper way to fix it? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    2,674
    It doesnít require a hose clamp. Itís a push on seal fitting. It is the vacuum suction pipe where it draws the oil from the sump when you do an oil change using a vacuum pump.

    Are you sure the leak is coming from that pipe and not from somewhere higher up?
    2010 TDV6 3.0L Discovery 4 HSE
    2007 Audi RS4 (B7)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoJeffster View Post
    It doesnít require a hose clamp. Itís a push on seal fitting. It is the vacuum suction pipe where it draws the oil from the sump when you do an oil change using a vacuum pump.

    Are you sure the leak is coming from that pipe and not from somewhere higher up?
    Hi, thanks.

    Yes. I am 99% sure the leaking was from it. I am guessing the seal was broken? If the seal was broken, how to fix it?

  4. #4
    Tombie's Avatar
    Tombie is offline YarnMaster Gold Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    3,943
    Itís a push fitting, should have an o-ring type seal inside. You may be able to replace (havenít seen it up close) or you may need the part
    Cheers
    Tombie

    AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Augusta WA
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoJeffster View Post
    It doesnít require a hose clamp. Itís a push on seal fitting. It is the vacuum suction pipe where it draws the oil from the sump when you do an oil change using a vacuum pump.

    Are you sure the leak is coming from that pipe and not from somewhere higher up?
    Is it possible you didn't drain the filter before removing it filling the V with oil that then seeps down to that region?
    MY09 D3 TDV6 Zermatt Silver
    MY02 TD5 Bonatti Grey
    MY00 TD5 520K Sold

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
    Is it possible you didn't drain the filter before removing it filling the V with oil that then seeps down to that region?
    Before changing engine oil, I inspected it. And I found some left on the engine chassis cover. It looks been there for quite a while.

    I used a clamp to secure the hose, and much better now. after a few thousand km, I will check it again.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    718
    To save oil on my driveway when cleaning up. I go to the local carwash with a couple cans of that cheap Supercheap Auto degreaser. Use the pressure washer for a minute to get the bulk off. Spray a few cans on it. Then wash off. Costs about $10 all up and no mess at home
    If at first you do not succeed, maybe your just no good and should quit!

  8. #8
    Tombie's Avatar
    Tombie is offline YarnMaster Gold Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    3,943
    Quote Originally Posted by jalvi View Post
    Before changing engine oil, I inspected it. And I found some left on the engine chassis cover. It looks been there for quite a while.

    I used a clamp to secure the hose, and much better now. after a few thousand km, I will check it again.
    Replace it. If it fails you have high risk of engine failure. Fittings like that arenít made to be clamped - bad things could happen!
    Cheers
    Tombie

    AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!