Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: New 275/40x20 tyres

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North west Sydney
    Posts
    201

    New 275/40x20 tyres

    It has been a while since my last post and wanted to share my experience with the new tyres on the RRS. I did some online research as we all do and finally decided upon the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2. I picked up 4 for the price of 3 which made it very attractive. I've only driven a short distance with the Hankooks but they seem very good tyres so far. One thing I have noticed is that I have less road noise and they seem firmer on the road. The tyres I had before were Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

    I guess time will tell how they last. Most of my driving is highways/city and some gravel.
    Mike

    2008 RRS TDV8
    1997 D1 300tdi (gone and missed)
    Series IIA (gone but not forgotten)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    7
    Nice.

    What did they end up costing you?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    23
    I'm looking for something a little more robust - the current pick is the Continental Cross Contact ATR..

    There just don't seem to be many reviews out there....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Mexitoria
    Posts
    118
    I put a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ's in 275 45 20 on my 2008 TDV8 and loved them. Did a lot of kms over 3 years towing my 25 foot van as well. Very stable and quiet.

    DSCN0856 - Copy.jpg

    I've just put a set of Cooper Discoverer H/T's on in the same size and I HATE THEM!!!

    I bought a set of second hand 22's a while back with Pirelli Scorpion Zeros in 285 35 22. Love them too.

    DSCN4055 - Copy - Copy.jpg

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Logan
    Posts
    21,485
    Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    It has been a while since my last post and wanted to share my experience with the new tyres on the RRS. I did some online research as we all do and finally decided upon the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2. I picked up 4 for the price of 3 which made it very attractive. I've only driven a short distance with the Hankooks but they seem very good tyres so far. One thing I have noticed is that I have less road noise and they seem firmer on the road. The tyres I had before were Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

    I guess time will tell how they last. Most of my driving is highways/city and some gravel.
    Not the same tyre or size, but I'm very happy with the Hankooks Dynapro ATs in our Defender. I think Hankooks may be a bit under appreciated.
    2009 Defender 110 2.4. ARB bulbar, Ironman winch, Safari snorkel, Steinbauer chip, AP HD clutch, Lightforce spots, larger tank, Off Road Systems drawer, Traxide 160 controller, Tekonsha brakes, Mulgo seat runners, Uniden UHF, Nuggetstuff seat corners, breathers, Polaris GPS.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    7
    Iím giving these Toyo Open Country AT2 265/50R20 a go. Wanted something a bit more suited to the dirt.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North west Sydney
    Posts
    201
    $270 a corner fitted & balanced
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_v View Post
    Nice.

    What did they end up costing you?
    Mike

    2008 RRS TDV8
    1997 D1 300tdi (gone and missed)
    Series IIA (gone but not forgotten)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North west Sydney
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMick View Post
    Not the same tyre or size, but I'm very happy with the Hankooks Dynapro ATs in our Defender. I think Hankooks may be a bit under appreciated.
    After driving on the Hankooks for a little while I'm still very impressed with them. These are the first set of Hankooks I've owned. Definitely would consider them again.
    Mike

    2008 RRS TDV8
    1997 D1 300tdi (gone and missed)
    Series IIA (gone but not forgotten)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    After driving on the Hankooks for a little while I'm still very impressed with them. These are the first set of Hankooks I've owned. Definitely would consider them again.
    I had Hankook Ventus tyres on a Jeep Grand Cherokee a few years back. Seemed OK for tarmac work until I drove the NT in the heat of summer. Extended high speed driving on hot roads resulted in all four tyres starting to delaminate by day two of the journey. One was especially bad, and by the time I made it to Darwin, the vibration was terrible (slowed to 80kms/hr for much of the trip as there is not easy way to change four tyres in the middle of nowhere on the Stuart Highway - try doing 80 on the Stuart Hwy with road trains up your clacka...). Tyres were near new before the trip and after replacement with Cooper ATs (only tyres available in 20 inch in Darwin off the shelf), no issues thereafter, including return trip two weeks or so later.

    Definitely won't be buying those Hankooks again, but I hope your experience is better than mine.

    For the RRS, I have done the indulgent thing and bought a set of 22s (second hand) and have put 285/40 Achilles Desert Hawk UHPs on them. Wasn't sure about the relatively "cheap and cheerful" Achilles but to date cannot fault them (circa 10000km on them), and are quiet and have great grip wet or dry. Haven't done the summer blast to NT on them, so can't comment on the ability to handle that punishment, but given the XL rating, hopefully they would be OK. A third of the price of other "good" brands, so I'm happy .

    I have the standard 19s with Scorpions ATs on for getting dirty.

    A couple of pics of my beast in her finest road frock configuration...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North west Sydney
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
    I had Hankook Ventus tyres on a Jeep Grand Cherokee a few years back. Seemed OK for tarmac work until I drove the NT in the heat of summer. Extended high speed driving on hot roads resulted in all four tyres starting to delaminate by day two of the journey. One was especially bad, and by the time I made it to Darwin, the vibration was terrible (slowed to 80kms/hr for much of the trip as there is not easy way to change four tyres in the middle of nowhere on the Stuart Highway - try doing 80 on the Stuart Hwy with road trains up your clacka...). Tyres were near new before the trip and after replacement with Cooper ATs (only tyres available in 20 inch in Darwin off the shelf), no issues thereafter, including return trip two weeks or so later.

    Definitely won't be buying those Hankooks again, but I hope your experience is better than mine.
    I'll see how they go early next year on gravel and heat when I head to Pilliga although most of that trip will be sealed roads. Thanks for the warning.
    Mike

    2008 RRS TDV8
    1997 D1 300tdi (gone and missed)
    Series IIA (gone but not forgotten)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!