Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Discovery 1 Power Steering Pump Pulley Bolts Thread Lock

  1. #1
    Lionelgee is offline ChatterBox Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bundaberg, Queensland
    Posts
    2,962

    Discovery 1 Power Steering Pump Pulley Bolts Thread Lock

    Hello All,

    Just wondering whether I should use a type of thread locker on the three bolts that hold the pulley to the power steering pump? If so what type/brand/colour?

    Also, once opened - does the thread locker have a limited shelf-life? If so how long is it good for?

    Kind regards
    Lionel

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
    Hello All,

    Just wondering whether I should use a type of thread locker on the three bolts that hold the pulley to the power steering pump? If so what type/brand/colour?

    Also, once opened - does the thread locker have a limited shelf-life? If so how long is it good for?

    Kind regards
    Lionel
    RAVE recommends Loctite 242 on the bolts.
    I don't use it tho, removed twice and refitted .. never seen them come loose.

    I know loctite goes off. After some time it even evaporates in it's sealed bottle .. but the bottle I noticed this in was very old(maybe 4 years .. I think even older).
    Cheers,
    Arthur.

    '99 D1 300 Tdi Auto

  3. #3
    Lionelgee is offline ChatterBox Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bundaberg, Queensland
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by AK83 View Post
    RAVE recommends Loctite 242 on the bolts.
    I don't use it tho, removed twice and refitted .. never seen them come loose.

    I know loctite goes off. After some time it even evaporates in it's sealed bottle .. but the bottle I noticed this in was very old(maybe 4 years .. I think even older).
    G'day Arthur,

    Thank you for the information about Loctite 242. I only need to replace some bolts because two of them had come off and the third was half-way undone. I had previously posted on another thread about the possible cause of a "Banshee" squeal coming from the front of the motor. Someone posted up the suggestion that the power steering pulley bolts can come loose. Which they did quite well.

    Who is RAVE by the way? You are from Melbourne so maybe is it something to do with the RACV?

    Kind regards
    Lionel

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
    .....

    Who is RAVE by the way? You are from Melbourne so maybe is it something to do with the RACV?

    RAVE is something held at a small and overcrowded venue, where stupidly loud, and incessantly repetitive, music screeches at mind numbed occupants of said overcrowded venue, which may cause bleeding from the ear drums of these participating patrons, thus leading to a severe loss of brain cells from aforementioned patrons of previously mentioned overcrowded venue. The patrons are supposedly dancing, but looks more like an electroshock treatment of some type.

    There is another type of RAVE tho, more pertinent to your inquiry .. the type that supplies invaluable information to LR tragics like us ... the useful set of pages sometimes called the manual. You can get copies in PDF form for viewing on various display devices(like PC or mobile phone/tablet/etc).
    There is a purchasable version up in the links to the AULRO store, or you may find downloadable versions somewhere on this intricate web of various stuff.
    Cheers,
    Arthur.

    '99 D1 300 Tdi Auto

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourn(ish)
    Posts
    25,813
    loctite 243
    Dave

    "In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

    For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

    Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    TDI D1(parting/ed)
    Tdi autoManual d1 (Kept it for the girlfriend)
    Archaeopteryx 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)


    If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!