Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Off Road Boat Trailer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    422

    Off Road Boat Trailer

    Actually for a jet ski

    We are 18 months out from heading off on our two year lap with 12 months on the west coast....still our back up plan.

    We didnít plan on towing but after watching way too much YBS we have started to think a jet ski will open up our travels for overnighters and exploring.

    Looking for ideas on building an off road trailer, super soft suspension, same track as defer, run 235/85/16ís and be easy to launch the ski.

    Was chatting to Sea-Doo and they sorted fluffed around a tough trailer design running 32ís

    I bumped roverrescueís thread as I like the idea of air struts, given the defer runs air bags on the rear Iím comfortable with air suspension.

    Figured air struts will give good clearance with the ability to dump the air for launching.

    I guess the boring option would be super long leaf springs

    Hit me with your ideas

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Logan
    Posts
    21,833
    Lot of jet ski trailers on eBay. Have you looked at them?
    2009 Defender 110 2.4. ARB bulbar, Ironman winch, Safari snorkel, Steinbauer chip, AP HD clutch, Lightforce spots, larger tank, Off Road Systems drawer, Traxide 160 controller, Tekonsha brakes, Mulgo seat runners, Uniden UHF, Nuggetstuff seat corners, breathers, Polaris GPS.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMick View Post
    Lot of jet ski trailers on eBay. Have you looked at them?
    Didnít see too many that are true my off road and running 235:85/16ís

    Not sure how they would handle the Gibb than alone less travelled roads.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Kallangur, Brisbane
    Posts
    972
    Go & see Cruisemaster in Geebung for some airbag suspension.
    + 2016 D4 TDV6

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremantle WA
    Posts
    2,719
    Quote Originally Posted by W&KO View Post
    Actually for a jet ski

    We are 18 months out from heading off on our two year lap with 12 months on the west coast....still our back up plan.

    We didnít plan on towing but after watching way too much YBS we have started to think a jet ski will open up our travels for overnighters and exploring.

    Looking for ideas on building an off road trailer, super soft suspension, same track as defer, run 235/85/16ís and be easy to launch the ski.

    Was chatting to Sea-Doo and they sorted fluffed around a tough trailer design running 32ís

    I bumped roverrescueís thread as I like the idea of air struts, given the defer runs air bags on the rear Iím comfortable with air suspension.

    Figured air struts will give good clearance with the ability to dump the air for launching.

    I guess the boring option would be super long leaf springs

    Hit me with your ideas

    Can we assume the tyre size is the same as the tow tug - given how logical you are?
    Like the idea of a jet ski (yes we have water in the west), and also a long term fan of air suspension.
    If I recall there is at least one AU caravan manufacturer that takes that route?
    Towtug Apr 19 D4 MY10 2.7 6 speed with LLAMS, long range tank and other goodies - for towing "The Brick"
    Bessie Aug 13 MY95 RRC LSE Vogue SoftDash with MY99 TD5 and 4HP24 transplant - in the LR garage since Apr 18
    SADLY SOLD Disco Dan MY04 D2a TD5 auto Classic Nov 11 - Jun 19

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Geraldton WA
    Posts
    5,337
    Quote Originally Posted by W&KO View Post
    Didnít see too many that are true my off road and running 235:85/16ís

    Not sure how they would handle the Gibb than alone less travelled roads.
    While travelling in the Kimberly I would seriously reconsider using a jet ski in areas frequented by crocks.
    You only get one shot at life, Aim well

    2004 D2 "S" V8 auto, with a few Mods
    2007 79 Series Landcruiser V8 Ute, With a few Mods.
    4.6m Quintrex boat
    5.4m Trailcraft Sportscab Boat
    20' Jayco Expanda caravan

    2012 Navara twincab GONE

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    422

    Off Road Boat Trailer

    Quote Originally Posted by trout1105 View Post
    While travelling in the Kimberly I would seriously reconsider using a jet ski in areas frequented by crocks.
    The gibb was more of an example........

    Iíve been across the top of the Kimberley in a boat and understand the number of crocks.....donít think Iíd be launching.

    We would probably freight the trailer across the top I.e. Broom to Cairns

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton477 View Post
    Go & see Cruisemaster in Geebung for some airbag suspension.
    I was in their website last night, Iím not sure they cater for such a light weight trailer.

    I had their long leaf leaf suspension set up on the camper trailer I built, it worked well.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!