Australian Land Rover Owners

Gallery Donate Games Arcade Calendar Markets Shop Chat Subscribe! Files Links
Go Back   Australian Land Rover Owners > The Pinnacles > Discovery > Discovery 1

Discovery 1 Chat specifically relating to Discovery 1's

Old 3rd November 2011, 08:26 PM
Master

Strange noise under load

My recenlty aquired 97 V8 Auto is making a strange pinging/sweeking like sound when under load.

At first I thought it might be pinging due to bad fuel, but Ive now run it on 91, 95 and 98 RON fuels from various suppliers and there is no discerable difference.

Ruling out pinging as the cause, Ive checked belt tentions/conditions (as I thought it might have been a slipping or noisy belt) but couldnt find anything obvious there.

I suppose the next logical thing to explore would be exhause leaks, as an exhaust manifold gasket might make a similar sound.

So here is my quesiton, before I go searching for exhaust leaks, are there any other obvious or well know explinations for a pining like sound when under load?

Looking to the experienced D1 guru's for guidance.
Sponsored Links
Old 4th November 2011, 07:48 AM
Wizard

It could be a leak in the exhaust manifold. It would be more of a tappet sound and mine goes away when it warms up. Also check all your leads, Dissy cap and rotor. You may be losing a cylinder under load. Being a low compression engine it runs fine a cylinder down but might give a pinging feel under load.
Old 4th November 2011, 09:29 AM
ChatterBox

did you mean a sqeeking sound? maybe check out your uni joints too.
Old 4th November 2011, 06:14 PM
Master

run your disco at night and watch your leads if you can see the spark running around then you need new leads, Another question would be you say the noise comes under load so is that when you labouring while going up a hill?? I have an auto disco too and it always made all sorts of squeaks and noises that no matter what i did it still made it. I just get concerned if it runs quiet now.
Sponsored Links
Old 4th November 2011, 07:31 PM
Master

Thankd Nico, Yes, its when going up a hill, or accelerating hard. Im startign to think its more to do with ignition timing. I have a feeling its too far advanced and I will check this out over the weekend.
Old 5th November 2011, 09:53 AM
OldBushie
Subscriber

Thanked 1,998 Times in 1,586 Posts
A sticking exhaust valve will jam under load and be most evident going up a hill.

A loose sleeve will also be most evident under load when hot.
Are you using water?

Regards Philip A
Old 5th November 2011, 04:02 PM
ForumSage
Subscriber

Thanked 1,250 Times in 943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamat View Post
Thankd Nico, Yes, its when going up a hill, or accelerating hard. Im startign to think its more to do with ignition timing. I have a feeling its too far advanced and I will check this out over the weekend.
Check that the vacuum advance is working, Regards Frank.
78 Series III 109, Diesel.
Toyota BJ 40, Gone
Ford Bronco WOW, Gone
Toyota 4Runner RIP
F100 4WD, Unbelievable, Gone
Suzuki Brilliant, Gone
Old 5th November 2011, 09:22 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipA View Post
A sticking exhaust valve will jam under load and be most evident going up a hill.

A loose sleeve will also be most evident under load when hot.
Are you using water?

Regards Philip A
Starting to think its something like this as yesterday it over heated and even after a new thermostat, coolant cap and radiator flush ist still over heating! Suspect the cylinder is pressurising th colling system too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Check that the vacuum advance is working, Regards Frank.
Thanks Frank, I'll check that tomorrow (after referring to the manual as to what teh vacuum advance is)
Old 30th November 2011, 08:39 PM
Master

Finally had a chance to look at this in a bit of detail recently with a mechanic mate of mine. Everything mentioned so far checked out fine so we looked deeper.

Turns out the sound is coming from within the exhaust, so I suspect a loose baffle or plate. When I remember, I will get under while its cold and bash the exhaust to verify the diagnosis.
Old 27th August 2012, 04:16 PM
Master

Pinging/Chirping noise under load

OK, so following up on an previous post (Strange noise under load) I still have had no luck at finding what is causing this pinging noise under load.

I've not yet gone as far as stripping the engine down to check for moving cylinder sleeves etc as I am hopeful there is a much simpler answer.

So far I know what its is NOT:
1. It is not the fan belt - I did a quick test without the fan belt and the noise was still there (but the steering was ridiculously heavy!)
2. Its not a timing issue as I've dialed it down to 6 deg BTDC and ran 98 octane and it still made the noise (its petrol only).
3. Its not the leads as I've checked them all at night and no sparks etc. no interference with the radio or anything else to suggest it the ignition leads.
4. Its not the exhaust manifold as I've done the "white paper" test and no leaks detected.

The really strange thing is that it "sounds" like it is coming from under the vehicle as opposed to up in the engine bay. Could anything in the Auto Transmission/Torque converter etc make a metallic pining sound under load?
Perhaps is in the exhausts itself?

The auto shifts fine, even if it is a bit hard on the shift, and doesn't slip.

Any though would be appreciated before I consign myself to a rebuild.