Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Penrites "environmental" box packaging

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,044

    Penrites "environmental" box packaging

    I generally buy my oil in 10 or 20L containers as I use the same oil in all 3 cars. I can't for the life of me figure out why I'd choose the Penrite cardboard box option over a plastic drum when it is *persistently* more expensive.
    They reckon it's cheaper to produce, and their FAQ states they'll pass on the savings where possible. I'm sure its simple supply and demand, but geez with the inconvenience involved with the box vs drum, maybe it'd get a bit more traction if it was either on parity or cheaper.

    Rant over.

  2. #2
    p38arover's Avatar
    p38arover is offline Major part of the heart and soul of AULRO.com
    Administrator
    I'm here to help you!
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    28,739
    Persistently or consistently?
    Ron B.
    VK2OTC

    2004 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Auto
    2007 Yamaha XJR1300
    Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA



    RIP Bucko - Riding on Forever

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by p38arover View Post
    Persistently or consistently?
    Thus far it's consistently, but they persist in this counter productive behaviour so I chose the latter in the hope they'll cease to persist and it becomes inconsistent.

  4. #4
    Tombie's Avatar
    Tombie is offline TopicToaster Gold Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    4,478
    Quote Originally Posted by BradC View Post
    I generally buy my oil in 10 or 20L containers as I use the same oil in all 3 cars. I can't for the life of me figure out why I'd choose the Penrite cardboard box option over a plastic drum when it is *persistently* more expensive.
    They reckon it's cheaper to produce, and their FAQ states they'll pass on the savings where possible. I'm sure its simple supply and demand, but geez with the inconvenience involved with the box vs drum, maybe it'd get a bit more traction if it was either on parity or cheaper.

    Rant over.
    Same price or slightly cheaper here.
    Cheers
    Tombie

    AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!

  5. #5
    350RRC's Avatar
    350RRC is online now YarnMaster Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bellarine Peninsula, Brackistan
    Posts
    3,572
    When the golden arches first came to Oz all the burgers were packaged in styrofoam.

    There was a public outcry after a couple of years and they switched to paper / cardboard.

    An erudite person I know suggested at the time that the paper packaging actually used more energy to produce.

    DL

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wantabadgery, N.S.W.
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by 350RRC View Post
    When the golden arches first came to Oz all the burgers were packaged in styrofoam.

    There was a public outcry after a couple of years and they switched to paper / cardboard.

    An erudite person I know suggested at the time that the paper packaging actually used more energy to produce.

    DL
    I believe it does, but the paper/cardboard recycles/composts better.
    Don.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    17,403
    And because the burgers have shrunk in size since introduction, less packaging is required these days - hence less landfill.
    REMLR 243

    2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
    1977 FC 101
    1973 Haflinger AP700
    1971 Jaguar V12 E-Type Series 3 Roadster
    1957 Series 1 88"
    1957 Series 1 88" Station Wagon

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombie View Post
    Same price or slightly cheaper here.
    Must be a WA thing. Wouldn’t be the first time.

  9. #9
    350RRC's Avatar
    350RRC is online now YarnMaster Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bellarine Peninsula, Brackistan
    Posts
    3,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Don 130 View Post
    I believe it does, but the paper/cardboard recycles/composts better.
    Don.
    One side of my place is 100m on a semi-major road and I could fill 10 garbage bags p.a. with that brand of 'compost' that gets generously thrown on the roadside there.

    If I didn't remove it when I see it I've no doubt it would be double.

    DL

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    534
    to hold any liquid that cardboard has a plastic layer. Won't venture to say which one is "better" for the environment but plastic is clearly plastic and can be dealt with accordingly. "bio" cardboard (which it isn't) is whole different story.

    Cheers,
    -P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!