Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for Discovery 5

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    491

    Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for Discovery 5

    In light of recent developments, I thought it might be an idea to explain about the "Smartphone Pack" which is Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, which is available in the Discovery 5.

    While it is now included as standard, the early build D5's did not have it, and as it turns out the dealers are not able to activate it in all of the existing cars.

    Basically you need;

    InControl Touch Pro, widescreen version, with the Mid or High level multimedia panel

    That means, in addition to the two USB sockets in the centre armrest, you also need to have an HDMI socket, and/or a SIM card socket.

    If you have a SIM and/or HDMI socket there, the dealers are now offering free-of-charge software updates to activate the Smartphone Pack, which gives you Apple CarPlay & Android Auto.

    If you don't have a SIM or HDMI socket, the hardware is not compatible for the full Smartphone Pack, so you will be told "sorry, can't do it"



    But, all is not lost!

    There are a couple of options here to get the factory Apple CarPlay and Android Auto working in these models that only have the two USB sockets, currently the dealers aren't able to do this, but we can

    #1 for both Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, we have retrofitted the high-spec panel & missing wiring, and enabled the Smartphone Pack, with a modified CCF.

    Here in a 2017 Discovery 5, that was built with only the two USB's













    #2 if you only want Android Auto (without Apple CarPlay) then it's possible to get it working with just the standard panel, with just a modified CCF, no hardware changes.

    #3 if you have the InControl Touch Pro, without the widescreen, it's possible to enable both Apple CarPlay & Android Auto (with swapping the panel) or just Android Auto with the standard panel.


    If you have the InControl Touch system (not Pro) then there is no factory solution for those, but there are some aftermarket solutions for Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, using the existing screen, or by replacing the screen completely.
    Freelander 2 HSE 3.2L - BUILD THREAD
    Jaguar XKR Portfolio 4.2L S/C - Jaguar XJR 4.2L S/C

    Old Jaguar Australia - www.facebook.com/oldjaguarau
    Upgrades and retrofits for late model Land Rover and Jaguar vehicles.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    4,416
    I had my MY2018 HSE serviced late last year when the dealer did an update and, as part of it, installed a/auto & a/carplay. He wanted me to pay for the updated functionality but as I didn't ask for it I refused to pay and got it for ziltch. I've tried both a number of times and came away unimpressed.
    Disco 5 SD4 HSE 2018
    Disco 4 3.0 SDV6 2014
    Disco 4 2.7 2011
    Disco 3 V6 SE 2007

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteD3 View Post
    I had my MY2018 HSE serviced late last year when the dealer did an update and, as part of it, installed a/auto & a/carplay. He wanted me to pay for the updated functionality but as I didn't ask for it I refused to pay and got it for ziltch. I've tried both a number of times and came away unimpressed.
    I can't comment on anything d5 just yet. But I've seen what Cambo does with the D4 , both from a diagnostic and a retrofit point of view. And if he's d5 upgrade is anything as good as he's D4 it'll be excellent.

    Although being factory I'm sure he'll reply with a solution or comment to your statement.

    I have been looking at d5 for a while and there are lots of negative comments in regards to the connectivity and screens. I thought the nav in the D4 was bad enough.
    If at first you do not succeed, maybe your just no good and should quit!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2

    What are the steps required to do this?

    Iíve got a My18 Evoque which only has 2 USB so the dealer says cannot have CarPlay. The software is the latest 20C and I have the 10Ē screen. I know I need the smartphone pack to get activated but my dealer hasnít been much help as the answer is only 2 usb no CarPlay (but CarPlay/Android auto only use USB unless the USB isnít actually connected to the head unit and itís just supplies power). Iíve thought about buying the UIP but not sure the part number is and dealer isnít much help.

    I guess my question is, is this easy to do? And how do I go about it?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaps01 View Post
    Iíve got a My18 Evoque which only has 2 USB so the dealer says cannot have CarPlay. The software is the latest 20C and I have the 10Ē screen. I know I need the smartphone pack to get activated but my dealer hasnít been much help as the answer is only 2 usb no CarPlay (but CarPlay/Android auto only use USB unless the USB isnít actually connected to the head unit and itís just supplies power). Iíve thought about buying the UIP but not sure the part number is and dealer isnít much help.

    I guess my question is, is this easy to do? And how do I go about it?
    It's a bit of a misleading situation, the Low-Line UIP with just the two USB's is literally just two USB sockets with a backlight, has no additional hardware inside, but the Mid or High line UIP's with the HDMI &/or SIM have the additional hardware with the phone interface that provides the Apple CarPlay, so although the SIM or the HDMI are not used themselves, it's just that those panels have the phone interface build into them.

    Even if you fit the "correct" UIP, the dealers still cannot activate the Smartphone Pack as the activation depends on the "as-built" configuration being compatible, and that they cannot change themselves.

    But we can...

    The other thing is that the wiring for the UIP is different between the Low Line & High/Mid line UIP, it's also different between the 2016-2017, and the 2018-onward models.
    Long story short I had to get custom cables made to make the retrofit possible, such cables cannot be bought from JLR...

    Ultimately we can do the retrofit, although the dealers themselves can't.
    Freelander 2 HSE 3.2L - BUILD THREAD
    Jaguar XKR Portfolio 4.2L S/C - Jaguar XJR 4.2L S/C

    Old Jaguar Australia - www.facebook.com/oldjaguarau
    Upgrades and retrofits for late model Land Rover and Jaguar vehicles.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2

    Retrofit and activation of Smartphone pack ✔️

    Canít thank Cameron enough. A week ago I was frustrated that the dealer couldnít achieve something that in my mind atleast seemed possible, now in less than 4 hours I have a retrofit of a different UIP and activation of the smartphone package giving me factory integrated CarPlay and Android Auto. If you are considering the same then Cam is the guy to do it. Havenít seen such great service in a while, he told me exactly what he was going to do, showed me the products and even gave me a ride to take to work when I left my car with him.

    Canít say it enough. Thank you Cameron.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cambo@oldjaguar View Post
    In light of recent developments, I thought it might be an idea to explain about the "Smartphone Pack" which is Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, which is available in the Discovery 5.

    While it is now included as standard, the early build D5's did not have it, and as it turns out the dealers are not able to activate it in all of the existing cars.

    Basically you need;

    InControl Touch Pro, widescreen version, with the Mid or High level multimedia panel

    That means, in addition to the two USB sockets in the centre armrest, you also need to have an HDMI socket, and/or a SIM card socket.

    If you have a SIM and/or HDMI socket there, the dealers are now offering free-of-charge software updates to activate the Smartphone Pack, which gives you Apple CarPlay & Android Auto.

    If you don't have a SIM or HDMI socket, the hardware is not compatible for the full Smartphone Pack, so you will be told "sorry, can't do it"



    But, all is not lost!

    There are a couple of options here to get the factory Apple CarPlay and Android Auto working in these models that only have the two USB sockets, currently the dealers aren't able to do this, but we can

    #1 for both Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, we have retrofitted the high-spec panel & missing wiring, and enabled the Smartphone Pack, with a modified CCF.

    Here in a 2017 Discovery 5, that was built with only the two USB's













    #2 if you only want Android Auto (without Apple CarPlay) then it's possible to get it working with just the standard panel, with just a modified CCF, no hardware changes.

    #3 if you have the InControl Touch Pro, without the widescreen, it's possible to enable both Apple CarPlay & Android Auto (with swapping the panel) or just Android Auto with the standard panel.


    If you have the InControl Touch system (not Pro) then there is no factory solution for those, but there are some aftermarket solutions for Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, using the existing screen, or by replacing the screen completely.
    Hi, is it possible to get the OEM part number for the High Line UIP and the correct cables for a MY17 Range Rover ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    EspaŮa
    Posts
    1
    Hi, this is Miguel from Spain. I have the UIP Low line with the two USB sockets in my evoque convertible 2016. Because of the wide screen I thought i had in control touch pro but as i realize now i didntít. Since then ive been looking for a solution.

    Long short story, i bought a new genuine UIP with the sim socket so i thought it will be enough to fix it. I disassembled the usb/12v socket to change it for the new one and then i realized that there is a diferent cable comection as you say.

    I understand you said that its posible to upgrade the system with custom cables. ŅHow did you do that? ŅIf you change the wiring how can you upgrade the system to touch pro?

    I hope i made myself understood😅 thank you

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bundeena, NSW, Aust
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Matemales View Post
    Hi, this is Miguel from Spain. I have the UIP Low line with the two USB sockets in my evoque convertible 2016. Because of the wide screen I thought i had in control touch pro but as i realize now i didntít. Since then ive been looking for a solution.

    Long short story, i bought a new genuine UIP with the sim socket so i thought it will be enough to fix it. I disassembled the usb/12v socket to change it for the new one and then i realized that there is a diferent cable comection as you say.

    I understand you said that its posible to upgrade the system with custom cables. ŅHow did you do that? ŅIf you change the wiring how can you upgrade the system to touch pro?

    I hope i made myself understood😅 thank you
    As you did not "reply with quote" Cambo will not know you are asking the question. You may want to PM him directly instead.
    Cheers,

    Sean

    MY16 RRS TDV6 3.0 SE Fuji White
    MY10 D4 TDV6 3.0 HSE Baltic Blue - Gone

    ďOnly two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.Ē - Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    2

    Well... same question...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cambo@oldjaguar View Post
    In light of recent developments, I thought it might be an idea to explain about the "Smartphone Pack" which is Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, which is available in the Discovery 5.

    While it is now included as standard, the early build D5's did not have it, and as it turns out the dealers are not able to activate it in all of the existing cars.

    Basically you need;

    InControl Touch Pro, widescreen version, with the Mid or High level multimedia panel

    That means, in addition to the two USB sockets in the centre armrest, you also need to have an HDMI socket, and/or a SIM card socket.
    ...
    Got a 2017 D5 a couple of weeks ago and well yes it is fitted with the UIP Low_Line. Finding a High_Line_Sim (FW93-19E110-AD) is not so hard but finding a matching cable is.

    I would love to visit in Australia but being from Europe the current restrictions seem to be the easiest problem.

    There is nice description from somebody who did the upgrade in a Jag XE (Enabling Smartphone pack (Apple carplay/Android Auto) in non capable ICTP - Jaguar XE Forums) but the suggested cable is almost 2 meters long so not quite perfect for the D5.

    There also seems to be a couple of people that can help with remote CCF modification. You would need a interface for the D5 and a laptop. @Combo would you also be doing that?
    Since I would only need Android Auto and you mention that you actually only need a CCF update that would also be a solution for me (and render my next question unnecessary, at least for me).

    So question remaining would be. What is the correct/best cable?
    Would really love to get some support here...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!