Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Questions Buying 1986/1988 Classic Range Rover

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Adelaide Hills - SA
    Posts
    12,484

    Questions Buying 1986/1988 Classic Range Rover

    I've been looking at getting a manual 5sp EFI 1986 thru 1989 Range Rover for the last few months. Been keeping an eye an all the usual .com sites plus eBay and also the AULRO markets section. Not so many manuals, mostly autos.

    From what I've read here (Michael2, BigJon, AquaRangie, et al), it seems that a 1988 model is the pick of the bunch. I want to spend around $5K to 7K.

    If you have an opionion on the following topics then please reply:
    - What year did the viscous centre diff come in? I think I want to avoid this.
    - Is the manual box pretty sorted in these year models?
    - There seems to be a model shift between 1986 and 1987/88/89. Any major reasons to go with the later update? It seems the 86 is missing things like Cruise Control, etc.
    - Are these early-ish EFI engines reliable. Anything dire to watch out for with the EFI?
    - I much prefer the later horizontal grille. Is it a simple swap from the older style vertical grilles?

    Thanks
    David

    BTW - if you have a 1988 manual surplus to your requirements then send me a PM.... esp if it is White (my fav. colour in a Classic). Am happy to travel interstate for a good example.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Yinnar South, Vic
    Posts
    9,939
    Quote Originally Posted by spudboy View Post
    I've been looking at getting a manual 5sp EFI 1986 thru 1989 Range Rover for the last few months. Been keeping an eye an all the usual .com sites plus eBay and also the AULRO markets section. Not so many manuals, mostly autos.

    From what I've read here (Michael2, BigJon, AquaRangie, et al), it seems that a 1988 model is the pick of the bunch. I want to spend around $5K to 7K.

    If you have an opionion on the following topics then please reply:
    - What year did the viscous centre diff come in? I think I want to avoid this. 1989
    - Is the manual box pretty sorted in these year models? Mmm, weak but treated nicely will give a good life
    - There seems to be a model shift between 1986 and 1987/88/89. Any major reasons to go with the later update? It seems the 86 is missing things like Cruise Control, etc. Never seen cruise on any of those years, slight cosmetic changes, like indicator/wiper stalk and surround and a few others
    - Are these early-ish EFI engines reliable. Anything dire to watch out for with the EFI? Flappers, coolant temp sensor few others
    - I much prefer the later horizontal grille. Is it a simple swap from the older style vertical grilles? Need the headlight buckets from the later one aswell, or cut the grill to suit, but thats a bit ugly

    Thanks
    David

    BTW - if you have a 1988 manual surplus to your requirements then send me a PM.... esp if it is White (my fav. colour in a Classic). Am happy to travel interstate for a good example.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    779
    I had an 86 and i now have a 93. I paid $ 6200 for my 93. I would get the lastest rrc you can get and take a punt on the viscous transfer. I feel the 93 is about 900% better that the 86 in fit and finish and comfort. The borg warner transfer case is sooo much smoother that than the lt230. If the borg warner dies i will think long and hard about replacing it with an lt230 because as this seems to be the in thing if you a hardcore off roader. The borg warners are getting cheaper to rebuild as parts can be source from o/s.


    thats just my 2c's tho

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Adelaide Hills - SA
    Posts
    12,484
    OK. What are the chances of finding a manual 93 though ......?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Yinnar South, Vic
    Posts
    9,939
    Quote Originally Posted by spudboy View Post
    OK. What are the chances of finding a manual 93 though ......?
    Excellent, might take a few decades but

    If its a road goer, lucus is on the money, plus the 3.9 is a little more tolerable power wise

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    779
    not too sure on that one mate. I have seen a couple of late model manuals but not too many. Why are you dead set on the manual? The auto in the later rrc is very good?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    stockton nsw close enough to the beach to hear the waves and smell the sea :)
    Posts
    1,942
    Im sure tony from on here still has his LSE for sale id be going that if i were u

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,953
    I think most of the Q's have been answered.

    The '88 still had the LT77 5 Speed with the poorly lubricated output gear at the end of the main shaft. I was told by Fred Smith that mine was worn and not to take it on long trips after I bought it and had it inspected by him. I still got another 200,000km out of the box though. The clunk was noticable when other people drove the car for the first time and didn't ease the clutch at just the right spot, but once you were used to it, you could do a lot to prevent wear. I rebuilt the LT77 at 406,000km.

    I'd sell you ours, but I promised my wife her next car will be a Range Rover Sport, so we need to get another 1,000,000km out of the '88 before the RRS depreciates to a price we can afford.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kingston, Tassie, OZ.
    Posts
    13,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael2 View Post
    I think most of the Q's have been answered.

    The '88 still had the LT77 5 Speed with the poorly lubricated output gear at the end of the main shaft. I was told by Fred Smith that mine was worn and not to take it on long trips after I bought it and had it inspected by him. I still got another 200,000km out of the box though. The clunk was noticable when other people drove the car for the first time and didn't ease the clutch at just the right spot, but once you were used to it, you could do a lot to prevent wear. I rebuilt the LT77 at 406,000km.

    I'd sell you ours, but I promised my wife her next car will be a Range Rover Sport, so we need to get another 1,000,000km out of the '88 before the RRS depreciates to a price we can afford.

    I had a customer the same, D1 Tdi LT77, got about 120,000km further before it turned up on a flat tray with no drive!! He said he wanted to get as much out of it before the rebuild, and he got a lot further than I said he would!

    JC

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Adelaide Hills - SA
    Posts
    12,484
    Well, I've given up looking for the moment. Everyone is in Xmas mode so I'll get back into it after New Year.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!