Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Revised Swearing Rules For Forum ... Please Read.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,733

    Revised Swearing Rules For Forum ... Please Read.

    Ladies and gentlemen,

    After much ongoing discussion by the Mod team it has been decided that the Swearing Rules need to be updated and clarified so there is no confusion about what meets the forums standards.

    1. Using random symbols as an alternative for a swear word is now ok. ...($%#?@)

    2. Using letters and or numbers in combination with symbols as an alternative to a swear word is not ok.

    3. Any combination of symbols used to replace a swear word cannot be used if the combination chosen is a obvious swear word.

    4. Otherwise just type in the swear word and let the existing swear filter do its job as intended.

    If anyone has any questions relating to this post then please just ask.
    Last edited by TerryO; 11th November 2015 at 05:49 AM.
    Cheers,
    Terry

    D1 V8 (Gone)
    D2a HSE V8 (Gone)
    D3 HSE TDV6
    D4 V8

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orange, NSW
    Posts
    7,974
    Put simply:

    If we can't tell what it is, it's okay.
    If you can still work out what it is, it's not.
    The Phantom - Oslo Blue 2001 Td5 SE.
    Half dead but will live again!

    Nina - Chawton White 2003 Td5 S
    Slowly being improved

    Quote Originally Posted by Judo View Post
    You worry me sometimes Muppet!!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    CROMER, NSW
    Posts
    2,003
    Thats a more sensible approach, the other thing you can do is not swear.
    LAND ROVER;
    HELPING PUT OIL BACK IN THE GROUND FOR 70 YEARS
    CARS DON'T GET ANY "GREENER" THAT.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bacchus Marsh Vic.
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen,

    After much ongoing discussion by the Mod team it has been decided that the Swearing Rules need to be updated and clarified so there is no confusion about what meets the forums standards.

    This Post will become a sticky shortly.

    1. Using random symbols as an alternative for a swear word is now ok. ...($%#?@)

    2. Using letters and or numbers in combination with symbols as an alternative to a swear word is not ok.

    3. Any combination of symbols used to replace a swear word cannot be used if the combination chosen is a obvious swear word.

    4. Otherwise just type in the swear word and let the existing swear filter do its job as intended.

    If anyone has any questions relating to this post then please just ask.
    I'd like to start by thanking the Mod team for looking at this issue.
    Given you do this as volunteers hopefully it will free up some of your time and reduce angst between members.
    I feel this is a move in the right direction however my view is it's still a step to short.

    1. As I've always thought this should not be a breach of the rules.
    It does allow for any member to think what they are putting on the forum.
    This should save a lot of time dealing with infractions.


    2. A subtle difference than just using symbols but I can see it could be misused.


    3. Agree, we need to maintain the G rating we agreed to on signing on to be a member.


    4. This is where I feel the rule should be tweaked.
    If we can't swear on the forum why are we encouraged to type the word out?


    If someone "needs" to use a swear word I feel they should be encouraged to do it as per rule 1.
    This way at least they are thinking about what is happening and it should reduce the impact they are trying to achieve.
    I also feel if they have typed the word out and it is caught by the swear filter it should be eligible for an infraction.
    As I said, if we want to keep a G rating why should I be encouraged to type the full swear word.




    Just a few of my thoughts for what it's worth.
    Cheers Kyle.
    Last edited by alien; 10th November 2015 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Tweaking and clarifing.
    Cheers, Kyle



    The Good Oil.
    When did you last visit?
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/good-oil/



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Logan
    Posts
    20,522
    Quote Originally Posted by alien View Post
    I'd like to start by thanking the MOD team for looking at this issue.
    Given you do this as volunteers hopefully it will free up some of your time and reduce angst between members.
    I feel this is a move in the right direction however my view is it's still a step to short.

    1. As many have said this is no longer a breach of the rules.
    It does allow for any member to think what they are putting on the forum.
    This should save a lot of time dealing with infractions.


    2. A subtle difference than just using symbols but I can see it could be misused.


    3. Agree, we need to maintain the G rating we agreed to on signing on to be a member.


    4. This is where I feel the rule should be tweaked.
    If we can't swear on the forum why are we encouraged to type the word out?


    If someone "needs" to use a swear word I feel they should be encouraged to do it as per rule 1, at least they are thinking about what is happening and it should reduce the impact they are trying to achieve.
    I also feel if they have typed the word out and it is caught by the swear filter it should be eligible for an infraction.
    As I said, if we want to keep a G rating why should I be encouraged to type the full swear word.




    Just a few of my thoughts for what it's worth.
    Cheers Kyle.
    Agree with that. Thanks to the mods for their efforts. I was just pointing out an anomaly.
    Personally, I wouldn't mind if the mods just banned swearing outright. After all, is it really that hard to think of a polite word?
    2009 Defender 110 2.4. ARB bulbar, Ironman winch, Safari snorkel, Steinbauer chip, AP HD clutch, Lightforce spots, larger tank, Off Road Systems drawer, Traxide 160 controller, Tekonsha brakes, Mulgo seat runners, Uniden UHF, Nuggetstuff seat corners, breathers, Polaris GPS.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bundeena, NSW, Aust
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by alien View Post
    I'd like to start by thanking the Mod team for looking at this issue.
    Given you do this as volunteers hopefully it will free up some of your time and reduce angst between members.
    I feel this is a move in the right direction however my view is it's still a step to short.

    1. As I've always thought this should not be a breach of the rules.
    It does allow for any member to think what they are putting on the forum.
    This should save a lot of time dealing with infractions.


    2. A subtle difference than just using symbols but I can see it could be misused.


    3. Agree, we need to maintain the G rating we agreed to on signing on to be a member.


    4. This is where I feel the rule should be tweaked.
    If we can't swear on the forum why are we encouraged to type the word out?


    If someone "needs" to use a swear word I feel they should be encouraged to do it as per rule 1.
    This way at least they are thinking about what is happening and it should reduce the impact they are trying to achieve.
    I also feel if they have typed the word out and it is caught by the swear filter it should be eligible for an infraction.
    As I said, if we want to keep a G rating why should I be encouraged to type the full swear word.




    Just a few of my thoughts for what it's worth.
    Cheers Kyle.
    Could not agree more Kyle.

    Under the previous rules I felt that those attempting to obscure swearing with special characters (other than letter substitution) where the number of characters and type of characters could in no way directly represent any profanity, were posting in a better spirit than those who actually swore letting the filter replace the words.

    It is easy to imagine the word that is replaced by the swear filter and essentially for the reader, the filter does not exist as the full sentiment of what being written is still conveyed. Not a huge issue except when things are getting heated where I feel that it contributes to a more offensive post and the person reading the post is a minor or offended by such language. The typing of random characters instead is exactly the same as used in comics read by many a child. All they knew was something bad was being conveyed, not what.

    Now, I swear as much as the next person but I do not do it when conversing with people I do not know well or are not of like mind. The fact that the filter replaces the profanity you type should not release you from the responsibility of being polite.

    After all that, I think the mods have made an excellent change which will stop the "innocents" being pinged.
    Cheers,

    Sean

    MY16 RRS TDV6 3.0 SE Fuji White
    MY10 D4 TDV6 3.0 HSE Baltic Blue - Gone

    “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” - Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South East Tasmania
    Posts
    10,685
    What happens if a member posts a video clip unknowing that there are words against the filter or forum rules?
    Is the filter pick up them?
    What kind of videos are allowed and which are not?

  8. #8
    Homestar's Avatar
    Homestar is offline Super Moderator & CA manager Gold Subscriber
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sunbury, VIC
    Posts
    16,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucaro View Post
    What happens if a member posts a video clip unknowing that there are words against the filter or forum rules?
    Is the filter pick up them?
    What kind of videos are allowed and which are not?
    If the video has swearing in it, it is not allowed. It happens from time to time that people post things with swearing in them that they missed. The usual course of action is to delete the video and send the poster a friendly PM. Repeat offenders may get a warning but I don't recall this happening.


    1977 101 FC - 'Chucky'
    1986 Classic RR - 'Thing'
    1976 Series III Tray
    1997 Honda CBR1000F
    2003 L322 - Gone to a new home.

    'Love with your heart - use your head for everything else.' - CaptainDisillusion

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mackay
    Posts
    2,782
    I think that the rules look pretty fair. My profession requires me to have an 'off switch' to swearing. It's not hard, as many have mentioned there are plenty of words out there to describe your disinterest or dislike for something without offensive language. Personally I'd prefer not to see it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    321
    Wow, I cannot believe that I have just read through five pages of swear protocols. For me personally, it's not rocket science. I just don't type anything that could be thought of as swearing.

    Even though I can swear with the best of them... I started my working life as an apprentice in the Railway Workshops. Not much happened there to do with trains that didn't begin and end in a swear word or fifty.

    For me, different situations call for different attitudes. Typing on a public forum is very different to being in a work environment and I have adapted accordingly. Having written all this, I will probably get pinged down the line for something else, like criticising the government of the day that closed down our railway workshops...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!