Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Help with Thermostat Housings and Thermostats

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    ACT ish
    Posts
    29

    Help with Thermostat Housings and Thermostats

    Hi all,

    I've recently put up a Wanted ad on the forum, searching for a later Series 2a or Series 3 thermostat housing, the type that accepts the skirted thermostat. Haven't had much luck, here or anywhere online.

    From what I can gather, the one currently on my engine has been swapped out at some stage, to either a Series 2 or early 2a housing, the type that suits the early bellow type thermostat. Engine is a suffix F, so still 7:1 but with the shallow water inlet to suit the skirted type rather than the deeper bellow type inlet.

    Question is, obviously I'd love if someone had a spare housing haha, but what are my other options to get me running and on the road? Currently has a standard flat type thermostat(how I bought it), which spews the coolant out of the overflow pipe when it drives. Would it be OK to remove the thermostat all together coming into the warmer months? I've been reading online the role of the skirted thermostat, so don't want to risk it by cracking the head by doing so.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Westlake ,brisbane
    Posts
    1,805
    You can take the centre out of the thermostat & just leave the outer ring in the housing so there is some sort of restriction.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    S.E.Qld
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Loading... View Post
    Hi all,

    I've recently put up a Wanted ad on the forum, searching for a later Series 2a or Series 3 thermostat housing, the type that accepts the skirted thermostat. Haven't had much luck, here or anywhere online.

    From what I can gather, the one currently on my engine has been swapped out at some stage, to either a Series 2 or early 2a housing, the type that suits the early bellow type thermostat. Engine is a suffix F, so still 7:1 but with the shallow water inlet to suit the skirted type rather than the deeper bellow type inlet.

    Question is, obviously I'd love if someone had a spare housing haha, but what are my other options to get me running and on the road? Currently has a standard flat type thermostat(how I bought it), which spews the coolant out of the overflow pipe when it drives. Would it be OK to remove the thermostat all together coming into the warmer months? I've been reading online the role of the skirted thermostat, so don't want to risk it by cracking the head by doing so.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    You may have more success if you mention part numbers with your request.
    .W.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by Loading... View Post
    Hi all,

    I've recently put up a Wanted ad on the forum, searching for a later Series 2a or Series 3 thermostat housing, the type that accepts the skirted thermostat. Haven't had much luck, here or anywhere online.

    From what I can gather, the one currently on my engine has been swapped out at some stage, to either a Series 2 or early 2a housing, the type that suits the early bellow type thermostat. Engine is a suffix F, so still 7:1 but with the shallow water inlet to suit the skirted type rather than the deeper bellow type inlet.

    Question is, obviously I'd love if someone had a spare housing haha, but what are my other options to get me running and on the road? Currently has a standard flat type thermostat(how I bought it), which spews the coolant out of the overflow pipe when it drives. Would it be OK to remove the thermostat all together coming into the warmer months? I've been reading online the role of the skirted thermostat, so don't want to risk it by cracking the head by doing so.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    hi send me a photo fo thewater pump
    Russell Rovers
    Series I Parts Specialists
    russellrovers AT gmail.com
    Phone 0428732001

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    ACT ish
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by B.S.F. View Post
    You may have more success if you mention part numbers with your request.
    .W.
    That could help

    Part # 527109 is what I'm after

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    ACT ish
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by russellrovers View Post
    hi send me a photo fo thewater pump
    Does this help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Black Mountain, Eastern Vic.
    Posts
    638
    Can't help with the t/stat housing, but it looks like the fan is fitted backwards.
    Terry
    56 86" 2.0 P UK built, driven here overland.
    63 88" 2.25 P Canvas top. found in a hidden gully.
    80 109" 2.6 P ex Army GS, saved from the scrappie.
    95 300tdi 130 Single cab tray.
    2010 Guzzi 750

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Narre Warren South
    Posts
    4,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Loading... View Post
    Currently has a standard flat type thermostat(how I bought it), which spews the coolant out of the overflow pipe when it drives. Would it be OK to remove the thermostat all together coming into the warmer months? I've been reading online the role of the skirted thermostat, so don't want to risk it by cracking the head by doing so.
    Can't see how the thermostat 'design' would cause the problem you mention, sounds more like its overheating.

    If its not the fan then is it the water pump, the radiator cap needs replacing or thermostat that's currently fitted not opening (drop it in a cup of hot water to check it opens) or wrong temperature thermostat ?




    Colin
    '56 Series 1 with homemade welder
    '65 Series IIa Dormobile
    '70 SIIa GS
    '76 SIII 88" (Isuzu C240)
    '81 SIII FFR
    '95 Defender Tanami
    '60 SII 109 ute (gone)
    Motorcycles :-
    Vincent Rapide, Panther M100, Norton BIG4, Electra & Navigator, Matchless G80C

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Crafers West South Australia
    Posts
    11,201
    Quote Originally Posted by rover-56 View Post
    Can't help with the t/stat housing, but it looks like the fan is fitted backwards.
    Terry
    It sure is! Flipped over it might actually create some cooling airflow.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    ACT ish
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by rover-56 View Post
    Can't help with the t/stat housing, but it looks like the fan is fitted backwards.
    Terry
    That it is.. I will flip it back over this morning. Thanks mate!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!